pan for old Shimpo

Hi,

I've been lucky enough to use a Shimpo wheel since I started potting in the early 1970's. Today my splash pan self-destructed :-( HELP! Does anyone know where I can get a new (or used) splash pan that will fit a Shimpo Model Rk-2-Type? Thank you in advance for your help. Louise

I was gifted an old Alpine gear-driven wheel a while back and it didn't come with a splash pan. I'm not a messy thrower and always clean up after each use, but a $3 shallow plastic tub (the kind that goes under a bed) works great as a cheap alternative. I just cut it in half, made a groove so it can slide past the center shaft, and the other half just slips in. It's not completely water-tight, but my pants stay dry. I'm sure you could get all fancy and modify it with some sort of water-catching flange system, but it works good enough for me.

Hmmmm. Want some advice here please from members. RK-2 for $350 on offer. Is this over the odds? Going to let me use it for ten days or so to see how I get on with it. I know it doesn't have the tap the pedal feature and keep the wheel spinning which is a bummer. I want a 2nd wheel to run porcelain. There's 3 of them. I've read the Clayart Archives on this wheel and Vince Pitelka more or less slams it. But it has its fans and detractors like any other bit of kit. Some words in my shell like ear would be appreciated.

Hmmmm. Want some advice here please from members. RK-2 for $350 on offer. Is this over the odds? Going to let me use it for ten days or so to see how I get on with it. I know it doesn't have the tap the pedal feature and keep the wheel spinning which is a bummer. I want a 2nd wheel to run porcelain. There's 3 of them. I've read the Clayart Archives on this wheel and Vince Pitelka more or less slams it. But it has its fans and detractors like any other bit of kit. Some words in my shell like ear would be appreciated.

I cannot stand them as the pedal movement is so stiff

The cone drive is awkward- and stiff.

I have bought two used brents for under $350

The seattle area should have used wheels on craigs list now and again

One last note if you learned on a RK-2 than its the cats meow-its really what you are used to.

I personally never could get used to them but others love them.

I feel cone drive is a clunky stiff way to control wheel head speed.

Mark

Hi,

I've been lucky enough to use a Shimpo wheel since I started potting in the early 1970's. Today my splash pan self-destructed :-( HELP! Does anyone know where I can get a new (or used) splash pan that will fit a Shimpo Model Rk-2-Type? Thank you in advance for your help. Louise

The splash pans for the older ones are confusing :

some fit easily, some you have to modify a bit, some they can send you a procedure to install

There are pictures with the 4 shimpo splash pans on this page:

http://www.sheffield-pottery.com/Shimpo-Pottery-Wheel-Splash-Pans-s/366.htm

scroll down a bit to see chart of the models they fit.

You can always give them a call with your serial number in hand and they will tell you your options.

tjh

Archived