Permanent adhere for ceramic plates

What is the beast way to glue ceramic plates to each other? I need a permanent strong hold for a wall installation made of several plates. Tried liquid nails for tile/mirror and it didn’t work, it stays soft-ish and doesn’t give a permanent bond I’m looking for. Any advice?

IMO, adhesive is not a permanent method of attachment. They will all fail at some point, and when that happens and the pieces fall off the wall, you'll have a mess and possibly an injury. I would pursue some sort of mechanical fastening system- bolts, clamps, etc. Make each plate with a tall enough foot ring that you can put holes in the foot for a wire to hang it with. Or holes through the surface of the plate the plate that you can put a bolt through.

6 hours ago, AnnaVela said:

Tried liquid nails for tile/mirror and it didn’t work, it stays soft-ish and doesn’t give a permanent bond I’m looking for. Any advice?

Neil has the best advice, for the safest most reliable mechanical connections are best. For chemical applications, epoxy is for real, all the rest not quite as serious with many adhesives available from the home consumer store not really as substantive as epoxies. Keep in mind, there are many industrial epoxies but even the simplest generally has shear strength in the thousands of PSI. So when serious, epoxy generally provides significantly more strength for general binding. If you could drill a small hole where a metal pin could take up the shear and then epoxy in place you might have a relatively painless reasonably permanent practical way to do this.

If you have to use glues use epoxy -JB weld works very well-the slow set is the strongest-its a bit runny until it sets up. I have had it tear the galze off the surface of a high fire pots when testing the bond strength .Apply and cure in warm temps

Archived