Kiln Shed

Hello,

I recently got a small metal shed to keep my kiln in outside. The shed has two small air vents at the top and is a bit rickety but has done well at protecting the kiln from the elements so far. I live in British Columbia so the temperatures are fairly moderate but we get a lot of rain. 

Can I fire my kiln while leaving the doors closed if it’s raining outside? I don’t have any ventilation system and in the past I’ve just left one of the shed doors open and a peep hole open while firing. 

TIA!!

My 7 cu ft gas kiln is in a metal garden shed.  The sort you put together out of panels and a fair amount of swearing.  We cut 2 ventilation holes at opposite sides of two of the the bottom panels.  Then two of the roof panels are raised up at the side edge by about 4 inches.  In the years that I have been using the kiln I have burnt through or rotted through the raised roof panels, and replaced that with sheet metal.  I raise the panel on red bricks with red bricks weighing the panel down on top.  This holds up most of the time but when we have had really strong gales the sheet metal will fly 8 feet.  Now we set the panel down on the roof when we know there is a big blow coming. Lin

1 minute ago, oldlady said:

liam, i haven't seen that brand name?   does their ad feature a firecracker?

Heh, just what we call little ventilation/bathroom fans around here.  My old roommate was an hvac apprentice and he used to come home with broken "fart fans" all the time.  

Archived