Mug plaster mold - with or without handle?

Hi,

I just joined to ask a question but I have been using this forum as a resource for years. Thank you everyone!

I am interested in making a plaster mold of a mug. I have seen two approaches to this. One is a two-piece mold with the handle attached. The other is a two piece mold of the cup portion of the mug and another two-piece mold of the handle portion of the mug. The first option seems better, so why do so many people do it the other way? What am I missing?

Welcome to the forum .

The handle added later is much easy to work well. Meaning the molds comes apart well and the handle is all in one mold often the handle is not easy to reamove or fill properly. When it comes to molds relaese (taking apart  easy when full of clay is key) The handle added later is acually way easier. One you see the handles with voids in the handle and messed up handles you will see why mosty  folks choose to add them later.

Try one each way and learn this for yourself-I may have it all wrong and really only one way to learn and thats doing.

Remember any undercuts and the mold will not work.

17 minutes ago, DeniseM said:

I see, that makes sense. Would it be a bad idea to attach a hand-made handle, not a slip-cast handle, to the slip-cast cup?

I do this.  You'll want to mix up a bit of your casting slip without the deflocculant, plus some plasticiser (I use veegumT), or if you order it, call your supplier and ask for the compatible pugged clay body.  That way you can just pull handles and each slipcast piece will look a little more unique.

I have moulds with and without handles.

As Mark says,  the with handles are a pain in the .....  The slip is never thick enough in the handle. 

I also have handle moulds in their own right.  They too are a pain.  My favourite way for consistent and quick handles is an open, handle-shaped press mould.

I roll a coil bigger than needed and press it into the mould, let it set up for a short time, (or a long time in the winter) then finesse it before attaching.

Archived