I cannot find anything on a Gare 1818 kiln

Kaybee

I am looking to buy a used Gare 1818 from a guy on Craigslist, but I cannot find any information on this kiln. I realize it’s an older kiln model, and I read that Gare was rebranded to Evenheat.  This would be my first kiln so I wanted to do my research, and I was hoping to find a manual or something online but I’m coming up empty. Does anyone have any information on this kiln?

Used kilns are hard to come by in my area, so I’m debating on just buying it anyway, and hoping for the best. 

Evenheat bought out Gare, and now provides continuing support, though you won't see much on their website. Some parts, such as the kiln sitter, are common among many brands and repair parts can be purchased from the usual suspects online. (Just as a point of information about kiln sitters, Skutt bought Dawson when they went out of business, so kiln sitter parts will ultimately come from Skutt, but they are readily available elsewhere.) Your main considerations for this used kiln is the condition of the bricks. If the bricks are in good condition, the elements and kiln sitter parts can be replaced easily. If the bricks are beat up, keep looking. If the seller is offering shelves and posts with it, that is a valuable addition. The actual operation of a manual kiln is fairly consistent across brands, so we can help you with questions if you can't find an exact user manual.

Archived