Satin brown glaze suggestions?

abcyoung

Hello! I have been searching for a satin brown glaze similar to the items pictured.  I prefer the more matte item (bowl) but am open to as much shine as the pitcher. I tried Coyote's Hazelnut Satin  glaze but found it turned out lighter than expected.  Any suggestions for commercial glazes (I am not able to make my own glazes at this time as I use a community kiln and homemade glazes are not allowed)? Any input is greatly appreciated!!  

IMG_6896-min.thumb.PNG.8f223de47f6b4c4058511ad1cfbb09e6.PNGIMG_6897-min.PNG.0fb406afd52c435a7a78202f7f31d561.PNG

welcome to the forum, abc.

your question is more easily considered if you tell the kind of clay you are using.   is it white?  is it already brown?   you can see that a white clay would need more pigment to cover it's original color than a brown clay.    what cone do you fire to?    all of it matters.

frankly, i do not believe there is any glaze on the egg bowl, just dark clay.

10 hours ago, oldlady said:

welcome to the forum, abc.

your question is more easily considered if you tell the kind of clay you are using.   is it white?  is it already brown?   you can see that a white clay would need more pigment to cover it's original color than a brown clay.    what cone do you fire to?    all of it matters.

frankly, i do not believe there is any glaze on the egg bowl, just dark clay.

I typically use a dark red/brown brick color that is fired to ^6.

I was also wondering if the egg bowl was unglazed. However, I have seen it being used with food so I was not sure how an unglazed piece would be food safe. 

5 hours ago, abcyoung said:

also wondering if the egg bowl was unglazed. However, I have seen it being used with food so I was not sure how an unglazed piece would be food safe. 

Fun fact: there’s no legal definition of “food safe.” There are regulations around how much cadmium or lead can leach out of a glaze, but that’s about where it ends. 

It’s not an ideal piece to use, but I don’t think anyone’s likely to die from it.  For holding whole eggs like this, or uncut fruit, or things that aren’t liquid or acidic, I’m sure it’s fine. If you’re using it to beat those eggs in, or serve a dip or soup...it will be difficult to keep clean, may show scratches and wear readily, and if the clay isn’t fully mature it may weep. In fact, I think it IS showing wear. Making a bowl like this or using it for daily cooking isn’t a choice I’d make personally. But there are a lot of people who aren’t me.

Archived