8 hours ago, Hulk said:

Perhaps a (mostly - allowing for expansion only) captive dead air space would be worthwhile, in terms of insulating value, without much increase in cooldown time, given the space is vented (opened up) when it is time to cool down.

I think you channel the bottom bricks, maybe install three small diameter points of pickup and create a simple variable speed fan system , backdraft damper required,  for more even counterflow cooling which could be manually adjusted or eventually hooked to a PID to set the desired cooling rate. Just an idea though but gotta be better than controlled reheating all the time and wasting electric.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, lbispo said:

It is easier said than done, kind of hard to work with metals... Any other concerns about the metal being in the middle? The paint already peeled off completely.

You don’t need the metal actually and you could always make a metal cover for the kiln that fits outside the fiber. My thought, it was not something that was ever going to be permanent in the final design. It will likely rust and degrade, other than that it’s not causing you any immediate issue. Not something you would do again anyway for your next kiln. Many kilns have steel banding around the interior bricks, it just rusts away.

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, lbispo said:

I moved to a different place and left it outside unused for 6 months, have space now again, still works

Pretty neat! It is a bit close to the fence. What is your experienced opinion on additional insulation, energy necessary as a result of? Looks like 2” of fiber just wonder if you have a reasonable qualitative guess of how much less power is needed as a result of the fiber?

The wood around has hinges and open like doors, probably no ideal but I babysit it :)

Last I fired to cone 6 and used 30KWh, the last 100°C went at 15°C/hr, therefore if properly isolated I would expect 60°C/hr resulting in 5 hours less (11.5KWh less)

Without the fiber I could go over 900°C

Archived