Test kiln in bathroom?

LAlovesclay

So I’m thinking of buying a baby test kiln, 120v 20amps, the Coneart 119-D.  Getting it properly wired by an electrician but I’m wondering, would it be possible to fire it in a spare bathroom?  I’m thinking of connecting a downdraft vent from the kiln to the bathroom ceiling vent which vents outdoors, this should take care of fumes and some heat as well, are there downsides to this?  I don’t have any options for garage or outdoor locations for the kiln.

Thanks!

I don't love it, but I've seen worse. Is it big enough that you can have 18" clearance all around the kiln? You'll also need to make sure there aren't any flammable things like towels or shower curtains hanging nearby. 

A downdraft fan will probably be overkill on a little test kiln. A kiln that size won't put out a lot of fumes, but I'm not sure a bathroom fan can handle the fumes if you've got a lot of wax resist in the kiln. Is there a window in the bathroom to allow for fresh air? That would make a big difference. That said, I'm not a fan of having kiln fumes in a space that is used for brushing teeth and what not. It's just a bad situation from a hygiene safety standpoint.

2 hours ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

I would double check electrical code on that one. I’m not an expert, but wouldn’t the GFCI outlets potentially mess with that?

They shouldn’t, extra safe GFI protected kiln!  That kiln will need a full 20 amp dedicated circuit though and a full 20 amp rated  GFI.

6 hours ago, LAlovesclay said:

this should take care of fumes and some heat

Bath fan is likely 50- 75 cfm so very likely will get pretty toasty in that room.  If it has an ac supply duct to that bathroom you may need to block it or reduce the amount so as not to spread the fumes to the rest of the house. This is tough and definitely not ideal. A  well supervised patio or balcony could be a possible alternative.

26 minutes ago, Bill Kielb said:

They shouldn’t, extra safe GFI protected kiln!  That kiln will need a full 20 amp dedicated circuit though and a full 20 amp rated  GFI.

Many GFI are 15 amp  (most common)so one would would ned to upgrade and make sure wire is #12 size for the 20 amps

8 hours ago, neilestrick said:

I don't love it, but I've seen worse. Is it big enough that you can have 18" clearance all around the kiln? You'll also need to make sure there aren't any flammable things like towels or shower curtains hanging nearby. 

A downdraft fan will probably be overkill on a little test kiln. A kiln that size won't put out a lot of fumes, but I'm not sure a bathroom fan can handle the fumes if you've got a lot of wax resist in the kiln. Is there a window in the bathroom to allow for fresh air? That would make a big difference. That said, I'm not a fan of having kiln fumes in a space that is used for brushing teeth and what not. It's just a bad situation from a hygiene safety standpoint.

Thanks!

Yes there’s enough space.  I don’t use wax resist much if at all, although I suppose you never know in the future.  I was hoping the downdraft vent would take care of the hygiene issues by ensuring most of the fumes wouldn’t make it into the room, am I right I’m assuming that?  That was the main reason behind bathroom vent + downdraft vent.  Would corrosion of the bathroom fan be an issue?

7 hours ago, LAlovesclay said:

Thanks!

Yes there’s enough space.  I don’t use wax resist much if at all, although I suppose you never know in the future.  I was hoping the downdraft vent would take care of the hygiene issues by ensuring most of the fumes wouldn’t make it into the room, am I right I’m assuming that?  That was the main reason behind bathroom vent + downdraft vent.  Would corrosion of the bathroom fan be an issue?

Are you planning to tie the downdraft vent into the duct that the bathroom fan uses? If so you'll need to check if that can be done to code. If you plan to just aim the downdraft duct at the fan, that won't work because the bathroom fan can't keep up with the output of the downdraft. Also, tying into the bathroom fan duct will corrode the ducting a lot faster, and it'll be tough to replace it since it's up in a ceiling.

Thanks everyone, this gives me a lot to think about.  @neilestrick I was thinking of fitting the vent exhaust “lightly” to the bathroom fan intake, if that makes sense, not sealed tightly at all.  Since it’s a test kiln I’m considering making my own downdraft vent which would use a fan more in line with the cfm from a bathroom fan.

Due to the heat issue and the fact that a tiny test kiln shouldn’t produce much in the way of fumes, would an overhead vent connected to a window make more sense?   Would that setup also make more sense in another room rather than a bathroom?  It would likely need to be a living space if that was the case.  I’m still mulling over options.

Archived