Kiln Cracks

LBH

Hi everyone, 

I am looking for your guidance!!! I am a relatively new potter and bought a used kiln about six months ago. I have so far been too scared to use it but I am trying to get over this fear :)

The elements seem fine but I'm concerned about the level of damage to the bricks that make up the bottom of the kiln. I've read a lot of different forum posts that say hairline cracks are fine, but I am worried that these are more than just hairline cracks. I also watched a paragon video that said the only time you actually need to replace bricks are when 1) they are no longer supportive of the elements or 2) when they no longer insulate. The second one is the issue that I'm worried about. The cracks seem so big I'm worried about whether the efficiency of the kiln will be affected and/or the fumes will escape in a more major way??

If I do need to replace the bottom, any insight as to how to do this would be GREAT! Thank you in advance for your help!!

Picture1.png

Those cracks are pretty bad. It's definitely not structurally sound, however that doesn't necessarily mean you have to toss it. Instead, you can get a rigid piece of sheet metal cut to size and put it under the slab to support it. However if the bricks are crumbly and weak and won't hold up well to the weight of the posts, or if the gaps are big enough to allow heat to escape, it would be better to replace the slab. Cracks are fine, gaps are not. A new slab will cost you up to $400+ (depending on the size) because they usually have to ship freight, which can run $100-150. Evenheat should be able to give you a freight quote. The other option for replacement is to find a junky old cheap used kiln locally that has a better slab and swap it.

It also looks like several of the wall brick around the bottom are broken. I would replace those at the same time as the bottom slab, as they'll probably fall apart when you pull the slab.

Hi LBH!

At minimum, provide support for that base such that it can't flex (fireproof support, naturally) - several threads on this forum on that topic. Typical advise is to place a sheet of metal between the kiln stand and the kiln base, however, sheet metal would have to be fairly thick to be of any real help, else the edges turned to provide rigidity...

From there, typical setup is to place the first shelf just off the bottom, on half inch supports (vacuum the loose bits first).

...by a minute

Thanks folks! This is very helpful advice. I haven't heard back from Evenheat but we'll see if they get back to me. In the mean time I'll look up some of the info on getting support for the base in the forums. Fingers crossed!

Archived