Kiln maintenance - what spare parts should I have on hand?

PotterPutter

My Skutt KM818-30A has about 150 firings (1/3 to Cone 04 and 2/3 to Cone 6) and while it is still firing perfectly, I know I'll need to replace the elements at some point. I am going to be an adult and actually prepare ahead of time. I have a spare thermocouple, but in addition to having elements at the ready, what else should I have on hand for that fateful day? Is it a good idea to replace the relays when I replace the elements? 

I keep a few relays and a thermocouple on hand, mostly because they aren't expensive (you can find the relays much cheaper at online electrical supply sources). The other thing you will need for the task is a good strong crimper. The element connections in a Skutt are crimp barrels, which need to be crimped as hard and tight as you can. An ordinary pliers is not going to do the job.

Crimpers like this work well, and can cut most wires. For cutting element pigtails, a mini bolt cutter is much easier.

For relays just find the part number on the side of the relay and do a Google search. Keep a set on hand for when they're needed. It wouldn't hurt to change them when you do the elements, but you can typically get at least 2 sets of elements between relay changes. Also keep thermocouples on hand.

I just replaced elements and thermocouples.  I keep thermocouples and relays on hand.  I also have at least 2 extra elements on hand for things that happen.  It takes at least a week (sometimes longer)  for me to get new parts.  So I just keep everything on hand.  If my account is able to handle it, I actually keep a full set of elements.  That way I do not have to wait for an order to arrive.  

Roberta

Really don't care for the crimp on connecters that Skutt uses. Much prefer these, $2- each from Pottery Suppy House / Euclids.

image.png.41713b6d322087410e856a108420a7d6.png

@Dick White, is there an online electrical shop you can recommend for relays? (preferably with relays that aren't low quality import ones)

1 hour ago, Min said:

is there an online electrical shop you can recommend for relays? (preferably with relays that aren't low quality import ones)

Pretty sure all relays are imported at this point. Every one I've ever seen has been made in China. I use THESE, and just search the part number on Google to see who has the best price at any time. Newark, Mouser, Allied, Online Components, etc. I've ordered from all of them over the years. I used to use the P&B/TE version, but had a couple of bad batches last year after years without any issues and switched to  Schneider. These are the standard relays that fit most modern kilns that have rectangular sealed relays. Usually only when you get into kilns over 48 amps do you see relays different than these. They are a  dual pole, single throw, normally open relay with a 12 volt coil (DPST-NO-12). The exception to these are the earlier Skutt digital kilns, which use a clear relay (referred to as ice cube relays) that has terminals that come off the side instead of the top. Skutt control boxes that have 5 louvres at the top instead of 6 use the clear relays. The shallower box runs hotter and the rectangular relays don't hold up as well. There are a few Skutt kilns out there that were wired up with the rectangular relays even though they had 5 louvers, and they used right-angle connectors with an adapter plate to make them fit. Skutt recommends converting these back to the ice cube relays for better relay life. I use 30 amp relays because going bigger than needed only helps, and they cost about the same.

26 minutes ago, Min said:

Local pottery supply place charges just under 40- so both suppliers you linked are far less expensive

Pottery supply places are probably buying them from the kiln manufacturers so that the customer gets the parts in their packaging. No question that they're getting the right part that way. It costs more though, because there's markup every step of the way.

Archived