QotW: What do you think 2021 may bring to your potting life?

1 hour ago, glazenerd said:

Most schools have dropped art classes.

Our New Hampshire  Institute of Art (NHIA-reference John Baymore, and the anagama kiln standing unused (hoping to be moved-that is still a possibility) at the now-defunct Sharon Arts Center) has been swallowed up by New England College (NEC-top heavy on education & business) and is  called the Institute of Art and Design at NEC. Ceramics was listed as a minor for a short period after the takeover  but the page is now archived and there is no link to anything.  NEC abruptly (no notice) spat out Maureen Mills, the  extraordinary director of the ceramics program, after she built it up to something truly excellent. Checking the website today,  Ceramics Dept. is totally gone-and clay is not mentioned or pictured in the sections for Art or Fine Art. Those potters I know from the NH Potters Guild (a not very active guild) seem to be doing OK in NE galleries  and local shows, to the extent that they are happening at all.  There are minimal small classes at the tech school or community--the intro-style  offerings seem to attract young people who  want to be able to make some pots or small sculptures that are nice for fiends & family (based on the work I have seen; I mean no disparagement-this is a subjective observation).

There's at least one young full timer here in the neighborhood - standalone dedicated shop/studio in their back yard; her friend, also young, is a serious part timer. Met several young folk at the local JC Ceramic lab (a few years ago) on the road to full time potter (wouldn't expect them to all make it there, however), and a few building their portfolio for graduate applications... 

• Pres unpinned this topic

Eh, there’s still some interest in art classes. AUA (formerly ACAD) has decided to take all their departments in a more fine art direction, as opposed to fostering craft. But the Ceramics Department is still going strong, and the faculty there are all trying to foster a certain level of technical proficiency. Classes are weird right now, with people taking courses in shifts so there’s no crowding, and a lot of lectures online so that a minimum amount of time is spent in company of others. One of the local studios that offers individual ceramic workspaces is actually expanding right now. They’ve been doing zoom classes and picking up and dropping off materials and projects. The next generation of potters will come from those spaces, is my guess.

Interesting, the focus that departments/institutions take on - fine art vs craft brings to mind the the long down the nose toward programming/industry vs research and academics in the grad program ...all those years ago. I went to industry, way fun.

The State College that I went to, became a University, and then dropped the Art Ed department in the early 2000's. Now is rebuilding it. Other schools are re enforcing their Art Ed and Fine arts programs. I believe that there will always be a need for the expression that art and yes craft allows society. Hope it never changes.

best,

Pres