Geil Medium Duty Gas Kiln

redbourn

Geil kilns have a long record of being good kilns, so you can buy one with confidence IMO.

Have you done your research on hooking up a gas kiln- checked with local codes and fire department, insurance, etc.? Figured out how to vent it? How to receive the shipment and move the kiln into place? Lots of legwork to do before ordering.

Do you really need a gas kiln for what you do, or is it just what you're used to? Not trying to talk you out of it or get into the gas vs electric debate, but electric kilns are much less expensive and easier to deal with, and many people don't really need a gas kiln for what they do.

Neil, 

Thanks for the cautions.  I already have a used, Olympic gas torchbearer that this would replace.  It was cheaper to get gas to my shed than electricity, believe or not.  I need to discuss the venting with Geil to see if anything in place can be adapted for the Geil. I'm glad you think the medium duty will hold up to light use.

Redbourn

40 minutes ago, redbourn said:

It was cheaper to get gas to my shed than electricity, believe or not.

I believe that. But the kiln and venting usually end up costing a lot more. I think you'll really enjoy the Geil after firing a Torchbearer, and it will probably cost less to fire. Fiber is very efficient.

IMO - Nice kiln, good quality. Proper simple vent  or hood design if you will, will be the most economical. I have seen lots of folks make lots of mistakes. Bvent, designed  as natural draft hood for height and btu should be most economical. Last conversation with Geil, they do not design these for the end user.

I have been around a few Giel kilns. Never seen the meduim duty models. They look to be the same except not as heavy duty construction.. One word of note is if you get a fiber kiln (not brick) -after firing it a few times moving it will require carefull thought as fiber gets brittle.So plan on its location to be permanent.

I have a friend with the 27 car kiln and its been a workhourse for 30 years -It not the light duty but its fired every few weeks and still works great.

I'm am most likely getting a smaller 18 Giel  brick kiln from a deseased friend estate in the near future myself. 

These are top line kilns with low gas use and easy of landing . They make a very simple controller as well that worth it-called a DD controller that stalls kiln at a set point in temperature . So say you set iot at cone 10 the kiln will not climb above that temperature. Its a worth while feature. I would pass on the all auto redution stuff unless thats all an unknown for you>

Thanks to you all.  Bill, you designed the venting setup for my torchbearer.  With photos and measurements Geil has drawn an elevation that lets me use the B vent pipe I already have.  They will supply a different hood.

Mark, that's good to know about the DD controller and not moving it, which I'm not planning to do.  Manual reduction is fine.

Redbourn

20 minutes ago, redbourn said:

Bill, you designed the venting setup for my torchbearer.

Clearly we may have designed something for a kiln similar to yours that which you then needed to adapt and do your own design.:D

Good to hear Geil was helpful. My last conversation they were apprehensive about designing for customers.

I own a Geil Medium Duty Gas Kiln.  I bought it around 2000-2001.  It's been great.  No issues.  I got the hood, stack and kiln furniture from Paul.  It's on metal casters so it's very easy to move around if you are short on space (like me).  I've moved it once from a previous residence.  I will say that you need to pay attention when you're loading the kiln.  My head hits the fiber at the top of the kiln.  No damage done but I can see that being an issue if you share the workload with an apprentice or partner.  The good thing is, you can buy that fiber from Laguna Clay in case of a mishap. 

I strongly endorse this kiln if you fire reduction, cone 10.  It's a downdraft and basically fires itself.  Good luck!

Archived