DUNCAN ES820-2 KILN FIRING QUESTIONS

Valarie

I have a Duncan es820-2 kiln,  I am new to ceramics  and  tried my first firing over the weekend. I had bisque ware  I set the safety timer to 8 hours and  set the firing switches to High.  I put a pyrometric bar 05  in the kiln sitter . The kiln shut off after 3 hours , the  bar did melt , but  the cones that I set on the top shelve  (04*05*06)  also melted strangely. The 05  bent over  correctly but the 06 bent completely over??  So. I tried again the next day, only I set the switches to medium low and timer for 8 hrs. Again the kiln shut off after three hours.  I haven't opened it yet but I am not hopeful . Any suggestions ? What am I doing wrong??  Besides Paragon does anyone else sell replacement parts for these kilns. Thanks

55 minutes ago, glazed and confused said:

I have a Duncan es820-2 kiln,  I am new to ceramics  and  tried my first firing over the weekend. I had bisque ware  I set the safety timer to 8 hours and  set the firing switches to High.  I put a pyrometric bar 05  in the kiln sitter . The kiln shut off after 3 hours , the  bar did melt , but  the cones that I set on the top shelve  (04*05*06)  also melted strangely. The 05  bent over  correctly but the 06 bent completely over??  So. I tried again the next day, only I set the switches to medium low and timer for 8 hrs. Again the kiln shut off after three hours.  I haven't opened it yet but I am not hopeful . Any suggestions ? What am I doing wrong??  Besides Paragon does anyone else sell replacement parts for these kilns. Thanks

I've attached the manual for this kiln. Take a look at page 13, which has the firing instructions.

3 hours is fast, and likely happening because you're gone straight to High instead of working up from Low. As for the cones, it sounds like everything worked as it should. 06 will melt before 05, so it should be completely over if 05 was perfect. Think of the '0' as a negative sign, so 06 is a lower temp than 05, just like -6 is colder than -5.

There are very few kiln parts that are specific so kilns- all of the switches are stock parts that you can find on the internet, Euclids.com will be able to make elements for you, and Sitter parts are still available from most kiln suppliers.

Thank you ,

That was my issue.    What type of pyrometer can I use with this kiln?  I would like to  monitor the temp,so I can  properly ramp the kiln up. 

Thanks 

33 minutes ago, glazed and confused said:

Thank you ,

That was my issue.    What type of pyrometer can I use with this kiln?  I would like to  monitor the temp,so I can  properly ramp the kiln up. 

Thanks 

Any inexpensive digital pyrometer will work.

7 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

Any inexpensive digital pyrometer will work.

To add to that, buy one from your favorite ceramic supplier (or one of the usual suspects of online ceramic stores). In addition to the pyrometer itself, you will need a ceramic grade thermocouple. The included thermocouple with many inexpensive pyrometers is a little plastic coated nub that might be good for checking the temperature of a bowl of mashed potatoes, but useless in a kiln. Some of the ones from a ceramic supplier will include a proper thermocouple,  while the ceramic grade thermocouple is an accessory purchase with others, but at least a ceramic supplier will have them. The big river in south america dot com has lots of cheap pyrometers, of course, but you're on your own as to what else you need.

Neil is right but just to add common for kilns is 8 guage to withstand the temperature. K is  one  of the most common types and small gauge K often come with meters and are not suitable for high temp. However, if the meter reads type K, any type K will work.

Good idea to get a holder and a bit of thermocouple wire (type K wire)  and connectors to run to your meter.

DC19976E-CBFC-43C7-B3DC-7DFFC1CAF908.jpeg

CBC68180-8F54-4636-A0C2-4E4D1DD25611.jpeg

E0E0FD87-96E3-4A25-BCD4-9CE38C83F319.jpeg

No, I thought you were spot on, just pointing out  any meter capable of reading type k thermocouples will work and any type k will measure the range but gauge is the part not to get wrong for longevity  as well as don’t forget the holder and wire.

Lots of vom’s come with k type readers built in and usually a light gauge thermocouple as described as burning up above. Generally  perfectly  fine to just buy a heavier gauge thermocouple for the use and the meter will read it fine providing it will go four digits. Type k output is consistent across all gauges of probes. It’s part of simplicity and accuracy of thermocouples.

I thought your suggestion was good actually

• 7 months later...

@Dikka Rian

The electrical information tag should be stamped with a maximum firing temperature. For longevity reasons folks firing to cone 6 generally make sure their kiln goes to cone 10 ( 2345f) if your kiln is marked cone 8 (2280 f) then it will fire to cone 6 but the wear on the elements will shorten their life. Take a look at the equipment tag and tell us the info on it or post a clear picture of it.

Edited by Bill Kielb

• 1 year later...
On 11/23/2020 at 11:12 AM, neilestrick said:

I've attached the manual for this kiln. Take a look at page 13, which has the firing instructions.

3 hours is fast, and likely happening because you're gone straight to High instead of working up from Low. As for the cones, it sounds like everything worked as it should. 06 will melt before 05, so it should be completely over if 05 was perfect. Think of the '0' as a negative sign, so 06 is a lower temp than 05, just like -6 is colder than -5.

There are very few kiln parts that are specific so kilns- all of the switches are stock parts that you can find on the internet, Euclids.com will be able to make elements for you, and Sitter parts are still available from most kiln suppliers.

Where did you attach the manual  - I don't see it but I'm new to the forum so might be missing something. I'm thinking about purchasing one and would like to look at the manual first. 

Hi Morgan,

Welcome to the Forum!

I'm not seeing the attachment either.
This link might get you started; there's es/dk 820* wiring and parts diagrams, Appendix B, starting on page 15.6
Note the revision history, last updated April 1985
Duncan_Kiln_Service_Manual.pdf (aakilns.com.au)

See also
Links To Kiln Manuals, Wiring Diagrams, Repair Parts, Elements, Etc. - Equipment Use and Repair - Ceramic Arts Daily Communit
...scroll down to the Duncan entry; on the Paragon site, select the "Duncan Kiln Instructions" filter
...where you may then get the .pdf that Dick White references, below

Edited by Hulk
See also the listing thread Neil has put together ...to find what Dick White has posted!

5 hours ago, Morgan Leigh said:

Where did you attach the manual  - I don't see it but I'm new to the forum so might be missing something. I'm thinking about purchasing one and would like to look at the manual first. 

I had to clear out some of my files and it looks like that's one that got wiped out. You can find all Duncan manuals HERE.