ErrP

Skip

The last five or six times I have fired my L&L E-23t kiln I have gotten an ErrP code when I first turn it on. I recently changed a broken kiln element, and that is about the time the problem started. The most recent firing times to Slow Glaze Cone 6 have been 7 hours, 8.5 hours, 7.5 hours, and 11.5 hours (in yesterday’s firing) There are 20 firings on 5 of the elements and just a few firings on the recently changed element. When I changed the kiln elements 20 firings ago I also changed the thermocouples and the relays. After the 8.5 hour firing I did a paper burn test to determine that all the elements were working but after yesterday I think I may need to test that again. The kiln is a bit older...the serial number is 011904-h. Is it time for a new kiln?

Error P means the controller has lost power. So somehow the power to your kiln has been shutting off and coming back on. Things to check:

1. The transformer in the kiln control box may need replacing. I had this happen on a kiln recently that was giving ErrP.

2. Could be a problem with the power supply, possibly the breaker if it's old.

3. Could also just be a loose wire. May sure all the wire connections are tight that go from the main power terminal to the transformer to the controller.

4. Possibly a power cord problem. Check the plug to make sure it's plugging in tight, and check the prongs fro corrosion.

No need to replace the kiln.

I have two e-23-t kilns, one that is two months older than yours, and one that is newer. The older one says ErrP every time I switch it on. It always has, and the manual says that it’s normal. It just means “you turned the switch off.” I just press ENTER first to proceed. 

Check your manual. Mine says on page 3 under “Turning on the kiln”, “When the kiln is turned on you will see either ErrP or StOP.”

I can’t explain why yours switched from one behavior to the other, but I don’t think you need a new kiln. 

The newer kiln says WAIT for a few seconds then starts showing the current temp. 

Thank you all for the thoughtful replies. The Error P is new, so I think something is up. I will check the wires/connections. They are packed tightly into the control panel and one could have come loose after I replaced the last element. I hope that is all that it is. The wiring was all done by a professional electrician who had done previous kiln wiring so I think that part is okay. The kiln is hardwired so there is no plug to come loose. The desire for a new kiln is that I just want one that is reliable. I bought this one used and it has fired well, but there have been issues. If the wiring looks intact I will replace the transformer. I just watched a video and looks like a fairly simple task. I really appreciate how helpful this community is. Thanks again!!

@Skip I totally didn't catch that you're getting the ErrP when you first turn it on. That's not an issue. It's only a problem if you're getting it during a firing. As to why it's doing it now, it may be related to which state the controller is in when you turn it on, whether it was still on CPLT or if it was on IDLE. But as long as it's not happening during a firing then I wouldn't worry about it.

It only gives an ErrP when first turning on the kiln. The distressing thing is the 11 hour slow glaze firing time. Could that be the transformer or since it is not happening during the firing cycle is it likely something else? If it still looks like the transformer I’d like to get a new one, but if it is likely something else then I will try whatever else could make the kiln operate normally.

Archived