Silkifying a Jarred Glaze! Mixing Tips.

Sorcery

I passed on one of those drink mixers since I already had something that spins.

Recently mixed this glaze with some chunky zinc that just pasted up trying to seive it. So I had to put this mixing rig together to right the other batches before the seive.

1984551998_20201115_1438262_1.jpg.344a46f94c40a18a9684474910c1677d.jpg

This is a random piece of stainless screening I grabbed from a job site. Actual mesh sizes can be found at Rio Grande Here. I also use their blue seives. Excellent value.

I just took 2 of the corners, wrapped em over the bit and jammed em in the drill to hold em. 

It expands when it spins to reach even the inside shoulder and I managed to not spill anything. Seems very little is left in the mesh too.

A longer bit and mesh, or a different configuration would be better, to keep the drill clean.

I have been giving away pieces of this screen to every Potter who helps me out with things. It's great for honing bone dry porcelain, cleaning feet, etc etc etc. 

Check the scrap bin of your local stainless welder!

Cheers!

Please share any of your mixing Tips!

Sorce

If you've got zinc that has absorbed too much water from the air and has gone hard, I have a "magic bullet" blender and it can blast it back into powder.  I also use it to blast calcined glaze materials back into powder.  Works good, better than a immersion blender.  Got it second hand for cheap.

5 hours ago, liambesaw said:

If you've got zinc that has absorbed too much water from the air and has gone hard, I have a "magic bullet" blender and it can blast it back into powder.  I also use it to blast calcined glaze materials back into powder.  Works good, better than a immersion blender.  Got it second hand for cheap.

Speaking of Air2 Oh!

My Silica is a little heavy too, haven't really noticed anything but less dust which is nice, but slightly worried about weights.

Is it possible that it adsorbs (correct use?) so much water it can effect weights terribly?

Sorce

Something that I found works for those pesky jars of totally dried glazes one of those small coffee bean grinders. I picked one up at a thrift store for about $3. I just break the glaze up into small chunks and run them in the grinder for a few seconds and they are very nicely pulverized, just waiting to be reconstituted. You just have to clean the grinder thoroughly after each color so there is no cross-contamination...

A potter friend of mine found a commercial Bunn coffee grinder for real cheap which he uses to grind his reclaimed clay to a powder suitable for reconstitution...

Archived