Glazing help with dark brown stoneware 70

Sherril

Hi, I have been handbuilding with clay for a couple of years now. I bought a slab roller which is wonderful! Now I'm getting more into the science of glazing. Self taught,  (with a well known potter to ask advice from). I am selling well and with each new piece I learn so much. The owner gave me a Laguna #70 to work with and it comes out a deep brown. It has manganese in it and the glazes respond in unusual ways. I have a new piece to glaze which on the underside I practiced burnishing and lots of texture on the inside. My desire is to learn how to work with the beauty of the inherent qualities of the Clay body, and so will leave the bottom burnished and am considering Amaco celedon snow C-10 for the inside and some color for the big tooth aspen leaf. 

I just received a book on glazing (Amazing Glaze, Gabriel Kline), with recipes and hope to one day make my own glazes. For now I am looking for tips and ideas on working with these clay bodies that have manganese (#70) and also magnesium flecks (#50). I like the organic textural qualities of the flecks, but glazes react much differently than the #65 white stoneware that I've been using.  As well, I have no control over the firing process as my work is included with others and fired as the studio owner determines. I do know she is firing to come 5-6 with a hold at the end up to 10 sometimes. 

I am including a couple of pictures (the textured platter is in leather hard stage). The glazed picture is with a Mayco Norse Blue and the leaves are ungerglazes. As you can see the finish is off, but someone bought it!) I have a lot to learn still, but I absolutely love working with the clay. I am 61 and have been an artist of many mediums, paint, wool felting, gem and mineral polishing and wrapping.... now that pottery has grabbed me, it satisfies all my artistic loves... and the science of glazing is SO stimulating! 

IMG_2729.JPG.ec2709f5b41bb7f407ec391ca8cad878.JPG

IMG_2730.JPG.d4788da56e9c408078c69b3cda1bcc5a.JPG

I love the organic shape of your platters.

Iron in a clay makes glazes different, so you may be able to research the chemistry of Manganese to see what it does to glazes on the science end, for a start, then you just have to test!

Mayco, IMO, is the most forgiving commercial stoneware glaze, they usually don't run since they can be fired to cone 10, but anything I've found on Glazy has fired even better, there is definitely more to making your own glaze than saving loads of money!

Anything that breaks over those dark brown edges tends to look wonderful. The difficulty I believe, is finding a glaze that shows color with little enough glaze to also bare the texture.

Sorce

I just love the texture you have on the first platter.  That is such a visual draw!  I love your flowers on the 2nd platter!!  Did you wax over the flowers and then glaze??  Or is your glaze translucent enough to let them show through?

What @Sorcery said is the best advice. Test.  I use Laguna speckled buff about half the time.  And porcelain the other half.  I have a handful of glazes that work on both, but not everything.  Make some testers and just start experimenting.  Make certain the person loading the kiln puts cookies under your test tiles in case of running.  I love the look of the #70, but alas is not available in my area!!   I do not have that particular glaze book, but I have heard great reviews!  Best of luck to you!

Roberta

On 10/16/2020 at 9:23 AM, Sorcery said:

Anything that breaks over those dark brown edges tends to look wonderful. The difficulty I believe, is finding a glaze that shows color with little enough glaze to also bare the texture.

Thank you Sorce. This is the idea for sure. Instead of fighting with the qualities I want to embrace them. I will research the chemistry of the Manganese. Not sure how to go about that though.

I love the complexity of the medium of clay and glaze. So many paths to explore. And yes for sure each one is a test and it would be wise to test. I did an extensive test plaque and the gave it away because someone liked it, but I forgot to photograph it! Ugh LOL And they are in Canada. 

I am excited about this last piece which is firing as I write, but will have to wait until the studio is open next Wednesday to see it. I used the Amaco celedon snow over the texture, and a white underglaze with celedon marigold on the leaf (over) and a neon blue mixed with a white underglaze for around the Aspen leaf topped off with mixing clear celedon (which seems to work great over underglazes. 

Waiting...waiting... waiting... 

On 10/16/2020 at 10:49 AM, Roberta12 said:

I just love the texture you have on the first platter.  That is such a visual draw!  I love your flowers on the 2nd platter!!  Did you wax over the flowers and then glaze??  Or is your glaze translucent enough to let them show through?

Hi Roberta and thank you! The texture is burlap from some Norway Spruce trees I bought.  The flowers are actually bunch berry leaves... they do look like flowers though, haha. I did not wax them. I discovered that some glazes do not run, like Sorce said the Mayco stays put. I used underglazes on the leaves and the celedon mixing clear over the underglaze and since the Mayco Norse Blue and the celedon don't run they "play nice" together. In the past I would have waxed, but I was in a hurry and did not have time to... so it was an experiment. The red berries in the center are also a Mayco Raspberry Mist that I dropped in. 

I actually thought the Blue was a bit patchy and was going to pull it from her shop, but someone bought it! 

Is your speckled buff a #50?  I use that one a lot and a #65 which is a smooth white. Portland Pottery in Maine carries the #70.

Thank you for replying. So much to learn. I appreciate your comments. 

Sherril

21 minutes ago, Sherril said:

I will research the chemistry of the Manganese. Not sure how to go about that though

I have "The Potter's Dictionary of Materials and Techniques" by Frank Hamer. I believe it's Frank. It's a great, if not THE reference. 

Roaming around elsewhere you'll likely find out what never and always works, and use that as a solid beginning for tests. After investigating the components of the glazes that work and not, you'll be able to figure out the science.

Seems you, as I, and likely everyone has been, are in this position of almost allowing your preference to determine what you "like enough to sell".  "Looks", is a reasonable gauge sometimes, but if it is sound, it can be sold!

Some people adore broken pots!

Sorce

Haha, 

2 hours ago, Sorcery said:

Some people adore broken pots!

You made me chuckle out loud!!!

The woman who has been a potter for over 30 years and in magazines and such (her studio) is a very skilled and precise potter. It’s interesting because she has been working with a buff #50 with Magnesium flecks clay body and had a bowl I really liked. She thought it was “too rough” and it sold that day. What you say is so true. She also thought that piece of mine was a bit off with the glaze and it sold. 
What I like is texture and natural form and surprises. Just as in the off grid forest lifestyle I live. Nature is rarely neat and tidy, but perfect nevertheless.

I will get the book you suggested. Thank you!!

sherril

On 10/17/2020 at 11:54 AM, Sherril said:

Hi Roberta and thank you! The texture is burlap from some Norway Spruce trees I bought.  The flowers are actually bunch berry leaves... they do look like flowers though, haha. I did not wax them. I discovered that some glazes do not run, like Sorce said the Mayco stays put. I used underglazes on the leaves and the celedon mixing clear over the underglaze and since the Mayco Norse Blue and the celedon don't run they "play nice" together. In the past I would have waxed, but I was in a hurry and did not have time to... so it was an experiment. The red berries in the center are also a Mayco Raspberry Mist that I dropped in. 

I actually thought the Blue was a bit patchy and was going to pull it from her shop, but someone bought it! 

Is your speckled buff a #50?  I use that one a lot and a #65 which is a smooth white. Portland Pottery in Maine carries the #70.

Thank you for replying. So much to learn. I appreciate your comments. 

Sherril

The speckled buff  I use is WC403.  I was just on the Laguna site and it seems that we might have more choices of clay in the western US now.  I am going to call my supplier in Denver and see if they can get the #65.  I would love to have a smooth white stoneware.  And I would be interested in the #50 as well.  Thanks for the info.

Roberta

On 10/17/2020 at 8:39 PM, Sorcery said:

You mind if I ask what you live in?

Hi there,

I don't mind at all. I have a 10' x 32' (includes a 6' porch) insulated skid cabin built by local Mennonites. We later added a 14' x 5' extension for a kitchen and shower area. I have a primitive gray water septic. I hand carry water and also have a small RV tank for gravity feed, dishes, hand washing. I love it, though it is small and my slab roller takes up a chunk of the living area! Thought about a container, but for the money and time involved the cabin was the best choice. 

IMG_1130-compressed.jpg.6e12b7e95872cc2796eb182353b1590f.jpg

14 hours ago, Roberta12 said:

and see if they can get the #65.  I would love to have a smooth white stoneware.  And I would be interested in the #50 as well. 

Hi Roberta, I will check out the buff stoneware clay... sounds interesting. Here are a couple recent pics of a platter using the #65. I think it would look great for your style and colors come out really nice and true. 

IMG_2740.JPG.9826c788c3443bed7c5ecf72a4b00e7e.JPG

IMG_2739.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Archived