Peep plug stuck!

Tunatown

41 minutes ago, Tunatown said:

Hi all, 

After a recent glaze firing, my top peep hole plug got stuck. When I try to pull it out, the casing that it sits in starts to come out with it. Any advice? It's really in there for some reason. 

What brand of kiln, type of plug? Post a picture if you can.

@neilestrickUpdate: I got the plug out! However, the sleeve did come out with it. I have them separated now and they are both fully intact, although now I have to fix the sleeve and put it back in the kiln...

It is actually the plug that came with the kiln. I've been using it without any problems  but maybe it got pushed too far in last time. The kiln has not been fired in a week so it's  room temperature at this point. Should I just try to tug it out? I haven't been using much force since I didn't want to damage the sleeve any more than it could already be. 

If the sleeve will come out easily, I'd pull the whole thing and then try to work out the plug. If the plug is solid, you stand a batter chance of breaking the sleeve than the plug, so be careful. It should twist loose with enough pressure? Sorry, no real solid advice here other than do what you gotta do but be careful.

On 10/2/2020 at 10:49 AM, Tunatown said:

Update: I got the plug out! However, the sleeve did come out with it. I have them separated now and they are both fully intact, although now I have to fix the sleeve and put it back in the kiln...

Cement the sleeve in, taper the plug, don’t ever push them in super tight. Especially when firing else when cool ......... well now you know.

Archived