Tips for slumping large slabs into a bowl form

How are you making your slabs?

How big?

Can cut a template in paper and cut out necessary sections i.e. pieces of clay which would develop into a fold when placed in slump mold.

If slab on board, the mold can be placed onto it and whole caboodle flipped. Otherwise roll on material and transfer into mold on the material. Depends how big.

The template cutting greatly reduces the amount of clay to be lifted.

Mean Ass! Love it!

Use the right type of clay. Definitely not short reclaim. 

If your outside smoothing skills are good, you could patchwork em and not use large slabs.

Airtight rounds are rather easy to smooth.

Are they functional? 

I am curious how you will connect them. 

Sorce

Look up the work of Ann Van Hoey, she slab builds large vessels then alters them. She uses patterns and joins clay slabs in the mold, joining and ribbing the seams smooth. Not sure if you can open it but an Pottery Making Illustrated article from her here.

1 hour ago, Sorcery said:

Mean Ass! Love it!

Use the right type of clay. Definitely not short reclaim. 

If your outside smoothing skills are good, you could patchwork em and not use large slabs.

Airtight rounds are rather easy to smooth.

Are they functional? 

I am curious how you will connect them. 

Sorce

If you met the donkey you would understand, lol.

They are functional, I will be adding a neck at the end. I'm planning to press mold the two halves together either in the bisque molds. If that proves too unwieldy I will join the two halves outside the mold when they are leather hard. When I cut the neck out I can get inside add a coil  and smooth the inside seam. We'll see how it all goes. Patchwork seems like a good idea. Thanks Sorce!

11 hours ago, Babs said:

How are you making your slabs?

How big?

Can cut a template in paper and cut out necessary sections i.e. pieces of clay which would develop into a fold when placed in slump mold.

If slab on board, the mold can be placed onto it and whole caboodle flipped. Otherwise roll on material and transfer into mold on the material. Depends how big.

The template cutting greatly reduces the amount of clay to be lifted.

Hi Babs, Finished form is to be 9 wide by 12 tall. I will try a template. I was thinking about using material too, but didn't want it to crinkle in the mold. Thanks for the suggestions!

1 hour ago, AngryDonkeyPottery said:

If you met the donkey you would understand, lol.

They are functional, I will be adding a neck at the end. I'm planning to press mold the two halves together either in the bisque molds. If that proves too unwieldy I will join the two halves outside the mold when they are leather hard. When I cut the neck out I can get inside add a coil  and smooth the inside seam. We'll see how it all goes. Patchwork seems like a good idea. Thanks Sorce!

Will you use a tool to smooth or get your whole hand in?

I made a teapot like this once and, well, inside seams drive me nuts! Looking for fixes!

There is a YouTube video, I wanna say Tom Coleman, making a tongue and groove on 2 sections to better seal 2 halves. If you're good with a gouge that may help join em.

Thanks!

Sorce

Archived