Skutt 231-18 Parts

Benzine

Greetings All,

I have an old Skutt, that was given to me years ago, and I had the intention of getting it going, for my home studio.  Despite my intentions, that never happened, and I ended up getting a better kiln instead.

So as I was deciding what to do with it, the School District I work at, did some rearranging of staff, and hired a new Elementary Art position.  Of the two buildings she works at, only one has a kiln, so that means she has to transport work, which isn't ideal with any projects, especially Elementary students, who's work is sometimes held together with sheer will and hope.

To solve this, I offered up my old kiln, as long as she could get the "OK" from her Building Administrator, and find a place to install it.  She did, and now she is waiting on me to find out what parts she needs to order, to get it going.

I've been struggling to find certain parts, despite my efforts.  If I do a web search for Skutt 231-18, I get results, but following those links doesn't actually lead me to what  I need.  It isn't even an option on Skutt's own site, when I do a parts search.

Elements I can find, though those installed currently look to be in good shape.  I mainly need a new plug, (The old one was a monster), and bottom slab.

Are there parts from more recent models I can use as replacements?  Does the model have a different name?

Thanks All!

I just sold that kiln-which I had stored for 30 years. Call skutt slab botton and top are the same as their newer kilns. elements are easy. The power cord will be easy. The  plugs between the setions are no longer made or to be had so if those are bad its going to have to be hard wired. Talk to Skutt

MINE was a 3 section. I also had a 2 section one

44 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

I just sold that kiln-which I had stored for 30 years. Call skutt slab botton and top are the same as their newer kilns. elements are easy. The power cord will be easy. The  plugs between the setions are no longer made or to be had so if those are bad its going to have to be hard wired. Talk to Skutt

MINE was a 3 section. I also had a 2 section one

The one I have is two section, with a third blank section.  My colleague will only be doing low fire, so she'll be fine using that third section.

Thanks for the help!

Both of mine had blank rings. I used the one with two sections but not the 3 section-slowed it down to much.

I moved up to the 1227 size as its near 10 cubic feet

You can also rob the plugs from a blank ring if needed

The one I sold  last week (3 section) has a few spare plugs.

Skutt ran out of these many deacdes ago and switched to another type

great cone 06 kiln with only the  sitteer being the one  and only shut off

The woman who bought mine was doing low bisque only for here wood fired pots.Great use for that kiln

Archived