Safe Disposal of Unused Glaze

I'm hoping someone can advise me about the proper way to dispose of the remnants of unfired glaze solution that results from washing utensils and containers that have been used to mix or store glaze. We are not connected to municipal sewer and have a septic system. My studio has running water, but the sink empties into a bucket which I usually dump outside. I hope I am correct in assuming that the clay sludge I end up with after washing my tools is okay to dump in my yard, but I am concerned about doing the same thing with glaze. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Hi Finally!

I've been retaining glaze in a five gallon bucket - from cleanup, wipe ups, etc. - pouring off the clear water once the glaze has settled. The results, once sieved and adjusted, yielded a blue gray low gloss that's useful.

Am also retaining clay for recycling.

My double tub drain system (water flows to tub#1 then overflows to tub #2 then on to the bamboo patch.

I use a flat shovel in tub #1 to fill clay boxes with the settled slop and when dry it goes out with the trash-works great

Of course there is nothing toxic in this mix.Glaze and mostly clay

Archived