Slips under glazes

slips will show under transparent glazes, doesn`t matter mat or gloss

but you have to test every time you use something new

the glaze could eat your slips ( I found out my pink and white slips are getting eaten by some glazes but blues stay the same all the time)

If you are using a black glaze like a Temmoku, and you want it REALLY black, you could apply a black slip at leatherhard, bisque, then glaze with your black glaze. The same goes for white. If you are using a dark clay, you can apply white slip at the leatherhard stage,bisque, then apply a white glaze.

TJR

I experiment constantly with the effect of slip under all of my glazes. I have found that most often it is a matter of degrees of subtlety. An opaque double dipped glaze will often allow shadows of the slip/clay to come through where the single dip will show much more. Colored slips will do much the same, with the hint of color coming through the double dip. Most of the time I don't care if all of a decoration shows, just that it fades in and out. however, I am working to try and get the full effect more often. I know I can get it with transparent glazes, but am not as happy with that effect than the opaques.

Archived