Shelves of another kind

Marko

Hi everyone, been a while, but it's complicated.  But I could use some advice. Again.

I had many of my new shelves crack at the center. They are not broken. And I do not use them.  Thoughts on this?

Also,  I have many different size shelves from old broken kilns of different size.  So can I use diffent shelf combinations in a ^6 firing?  If so, what would be the safe and best way to do this?

Hi Neil,  thanks for your help. The kiln is a Paragon Viking 28. 12 sided.

These new shelves i got from The Ceramic Store via Paragon are 3/4" x 13"x 26".   The smaller shelves i want to use are 5/8" x 10.5" x 21". From my old Duncan 1029n kiln.

This is what I came up with, but I have never tested it. 

20200802_123554.jpg

When shelves are new they can still be wet. I always suggest a slow bisque with them when new with wares on them(no need to fireby themselves) .Especailly if just kiln washed. Did that happen or was it straight to a cone 6 glaze fire with them?

They can be stacked any way you want as long as the post is under them is straight lines (as in your photo)

once dry they are very durable and no need to baby them

1 hour ago, Mark C. said:

When shelves are new they can still be wet. I always suggest a slow bisque with them when new with wares on them(no need to fireby themselves) .Especailly if just kiln washed. Did that happen or was it straight to a cone 6 glaze fire with them?

They can be stacked any way you want as long as the post is under them is straight lines (as in your photo)

once dry they are very durable and no need to baby them

Hi Mark,

When I got them brand new I fired them to cone 03 with only kiln wash by themselves with no bisqueware. And then in the next firing I fired to cone 6.  Everything was okay till I fired another 2 ^6 firings and I found these 26" shelves had cracks at the long side at the middle.  And it happened to all 8.  I got replacements and again it happened, but only two cracked.  But two replacements crack into many pieces in shipping. Those were replaced.  

I went to my clay supplier and bought (2 )1/2" x 13" x 26" used any they are perfect after many firings.  Go figure.  

I think you got into a bad batch of shelves, or they were getting cracked in shipping but it wasn't visible at that point. Did they ship them freight or UPS? Freight is the best way to ship shelves, and they go onto a pallet and don't get moved at all. If possible, in the future get shelves from wherever you get clay if you pick it up yourself, or have them shipped with clay and supplies on a pallet.

Bad shelves are pretty common with those mullite ones. The local ceramic shop goes thru spells of bad shelves like you did periodically .Laguna just credits them after sending a photo of the cracks.

I would talk to the shop you got them thru.See if they knew about this issue after the fact.

Ceramics can bite you in the butt any time

Neil, the first 8 came fright with the Kiln. But on a separate pallet.  They looked fine when I opened the 2 boxes.  This was last October. 

I was very disappointed and when I sent pictures to Paragon, i had to wait a month to get new ones. And that happened again on the replacements.  I will just go with the old and new ones in combo now. Later I will go get some of those 1/2" x 26" from Roadrunner Ceramics in San Antonio. What I didn't  think to do at first. I love those people at RC. 

Oh I did tell them at Paragon that maybe they could check with The Ceramic Store and have them check their shelf supplier. 

14 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

I think you got into a bad batch of shelves, or they were getting cracked in shipping but it wasn't visible at that point. Did they ship them freight or UPS? Freight is the best way to ship shelves, and they go onto a pallet and don't get moved at all. If possible, in the future get shelves from wherever you get clay if you pick it up yourself, or have them shipped with clay and supplies on a pallet.

Neil, the first 8 came fright with the Kiln. But on a separate pallet.  They looked fine when I opened the 2 boxes.  This was last October.  I was very disappointed and when I sent pictures to Paragon, i had to wait a month to get new ones. And that happened again on the replacements.  I will just go with the old and new ones in combo now. Later I will go get some of those 1/2" x 26" from Roadrunner Ceramics in San Antonio. What I didn't  think to do at first. I love those people at RC.  Oh I did tell them at Paragon that maybe they could check with The Ceramic Store and have them check their shelf supplier. 

1 minute ago, Mark (Marko) Madrazo said:

Neil, the first 8 came fright with the Kiln. But on a separate pallet.  They looked fine when I opened the 2 boxes.  This was last October.  I was very disappointed and when I sent pictures to Paragon, i had to wait a month to get new ones. And that happened again on the replacements.  I will just go with the old and new ones in combo now. Later I will go get some of those 1/2" x 26" from Roadrunner Ceramics in San Antonio. What I didn't  think to do at first. I love those people at RC.  Oh I did tell them at Paragon that maybe they could check with The Ceramic Store and have them check their shelf supplier. 

I'm a big fan of the CoreLite shelves, especially for big shelves like those, because they're much lighter. Lots of my customers use them, too.

5 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

Bad shelves are pretty common with those mullite ones. The local ceramic shop goes thru spells of bad shelves like you did periodically .Laguna just credits them after sending a photo of the cracks.

I would talk to the shop you got them thru.See if they knew about this issue after the fact.

Ceramics can bite you in the butt any time

Ouch!  So I am finding out.  It's the time lost that is really the ass biter.  And just before the Covid19 virus came and ruined all the fun of doing shows and Farmers  Market. 

5 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

I'm a big fan of the CoreLite shelves, especially for big shelves like those, because they're much lighter. Lots of my customers use them, too.

They look good and not to expensive.  Especially if they can be less stressful.   I just never thought to ask about shelf options when i was getting them.  Should have asked.  My bad. 

Where do you sell them from. Company? Location?

7 minutes ago, Mark (Marko) Madrazo said:

They look good and not to expensive.  Especially if they can be less stressful.   I just never thought to ask about shelf options when i was getting them.  Should have asked.  My bad. 

Where do you sell them from. Company? Location?

I only sell shelves with new kilns, when it all gets shipped from the kiln factory together. But I always tell my customers that if they need more shelves in the future to just buy them locally if possible.

13 hours ago, LeeU said:

Hey Marko--good to "see" you & that you're still doing your thing! 

Hi LeeU, yes, still enjoying the clay. I had some set backs but i manage.  It just ashame this virus has put things on hold. No shows and such.  But on the brighter side, it's time to do those things that have been waiting to be done. Like glaze test.  Hope you are doing well.  

Archived