Props for glaze firing

I have small flat items on which I have applied glaze and plan to fire at cone 6. I want the glaze to remain on the edges of the pieces. Can I safely put small bisque fired kiln washed pads under these glazed items to support and  lift them away from the kiln shelf?

Like most answers: it depends.  A picture would help.

One thing it depends on is how runny the glaze is.  You could avoid one issue and create another depending on the thickness, clay type,  size of support in relation to the supported piece.

Generally speaking, I'd give a qualified yes to your question.  I use a lot of little slices of soft brick just like you're describing. 

Probably, possibly, maybe.  Test, test, test.   :)

The only way to know for certain is to try it.  I tend to use little pieces of flat clay under most glazed items.  Hate the thought of glaze touching my shelves.

3 hours ago, Sorcery said:

Just take care making the biscuits since if they warp, your peice will warp.

Sorce

The thing I do to avoid this problem is to not bisque fire the biscuit. Then when I load the piece onto the biscuit, I press it down and let the biscuit crack if it needs to in order to lay perfectly flat. The biscuit still works even if it's cracked.

Archived