Movable Minnesota flat-top style kiln

Howdy folks,

I am in the process of designing a small Minnesota flat-top style kiln like the one described in the document "21st Century Kilns" created by Mel Jacobson and Friends. I was curious if anybody had attempted doing something like this on a movable platform. Ideally, I'd like to build this such that I can roll it out into our driveway for firing and then put it away when done.

I do have a spot in the back yard I could build it if necessary, but I'd prefer it be movable.  Outside dimensions are going to be roughly 36" x 45" x 36" .  Chimney will be brick to the top of the kiln and then metal above that.

Thanks,

Kevin

kilns weigh a ton (usually a lot more really) so movable is usually not an option in most cases. Especially gas kilns. Just do the math on the steel and bricks and see what it totals-add the hard brick for burner area -and floor areas and some extra steel for bottom to support the moving platform soft brick for the rest .I assume you are thinking some super duty castors on level concrete.They make castors for heavy stuff like houses-they cost  alot a swell.

Never heard of one or seen one but I'm just be doing this 47 years and there is a lot more to learn before I'm toast. Let us know the plan and we can help with the design.

It would be an intresting build. 1st thing is the math for weight.

So to add to the above, heavy load requires decent floor and perimeter steel that keeps deflection to a structural minimum so likely 1/240th the  span to 1/360th, which is significant BTW especially going over unlevel ground. Big decent castors, maybe 4” diameter or better else you get stuck in the first small crack and of course stopping all that mass if it gets going in a direction. Having installed some whole house generators that probably are 600#, my sense is this will become a bit of a hassle.

@kriggins It's doable, you just have to make a strong base for it. I had a  gas kiln that what roughly a 6 foot cube exterior, and I built it on a welded steel frame with legs and a separate rolling door, and I could pick it up and move it with a pallet jack if work needed to be done on the venting system above it. For your kiln, I recommend using 6" casters or larger, made of hard plastic or rubber- something that won't dent when it's just sitting. The surfaces you'll be rolling over will be the bigger issue. Any cracks or uneven concrete slabs will be difficult to roll over, but not impossible. I'd mortar the bricks with hi-temp mortar to keep everything good and solid. You'll also need some sort of handle system welded to the frame to push/pull the kiln with.

On 7/9/2020 at 11:55 AM, neilestrick said:

@kriggins It's doable, you just have to make a strong base for it. I had a  gas kiln that what roughly a 6 foot cube exterior, and I built it on a welded steel frame with legs and a separate rolling door, and I could pick it up and move it with a pallet jack if work needed to be done on the venting system above it. For your kiln, I recommend using 6" casters or larger, made of hard plastic or rubber- something that won't dent when it's just sitting. The surfaces you'll be rolling over will be the bigger issue. Any cracks or uneven concrete slabs will be difficult to roll over, but not impossible. I'd mortar the bricks with hi-temp mortar to keep everything good and solid. You'll also need some sort of handle system welded to the frame to push/pull the kiln with.

Maybe the Hulk to help roll it

Archived