1029-2 kiln floor

I purchase a huge supply of kiln furniture but had to take a Duncand 1029-2 kiln in the process. The bottom fiber pad is ruined. I can find a replacement for $177 on ebay but the person that used it before, in a classroom situation, had it set on first concrete block, then a sheet of sheet metal and then firebrick. I wasn't cut to fit, the entire unit just sat on the firebrick. I have not tried to use the kiln and am looking into what it would cost to repair it so my question is, if I were to replace the fiber pad with brick, what is the best way to do that? Would it have to be cut or is there a way to just set the kiln on top without damaging product during firing? Also, I would like to start with new kiln sitter parts and element. I have found the element but don't know what I need to replace the rest. What is necessary and what would be nice but not an emergency type thing? The lid and sides are all in really good shape but whoever dreamed up that bottom was NOT a potter!

They weren't cut. She just sat the kiln on top of the brick which was on a piece of sheet metal and all of that sat on concrete block. While it must have worked for her, I'm wondering what issues may arise by doing it that way or if I should just bite the bullet and cut them all. 

If everything fits together tightly, with no gaps between the bricks, then you can just do like the previous owner did. Otherwise you'll want mortar the bricks together. And they should be IFB (insulating firebrick) like the walls, not hard brick. Did you get the floor brick with the kiln? The floor doesn't have to fit the kiln, the pad can be larger, and the kiln just sits on it. I think that by the time you replace the elements, the sitter, and the floor, you've put quite a lot of money into a kiln that might not be worth it. I'd use it the way she had it, and test the element resistance to see if they actually need replacing. What specifically is wrong with the sitter?

5 minutes ago, Sweet Pot said:

How much heat would be lost with it just sitting on top? Would it affect the ability to control the temperature accurately?

If the joints are tight and they are truly insulating firebrick just like the top and sides and the joint between  the sides and bottom is reasonably flat and tight , virtually no difference. There likely is a reason the the previous user had fiber in the bottom though so maybe best to snap some pictures and post.

Archived