Ancient pots retain yeast!

I make vread and my son was a homebrewer. Both yeasts are spent at end of the process.

The live yeast if a bit kept aside needs to be fed....but if any live yeast survived. ..you can buy dry yeast

I heard and interview with the yeast guy a couple months back, and it was really interesting. If I remember correctly he had to sterilize everything, including his flour, so as to keep the ancient yeast pure for his test. Unfortunately, in a home kitchen setting that would be really difficult (impossible?), but it would be fun to be able to get a sample and make one loaf and taste the difference, even if it was slightly tainted.

I think it's funny that places like bakeries in San Francisco will sell you some of their sourdough starter, because in short time it will no longer be 'their starter', as it takes in wild yeast from your kitchen and from the flours you use to feed it. My starter has been pretty consistent in flavor and behavior for the last few months, but I expect that to change a bit now that the weather is warmer.

Archived