Skutt Glaze Tech Kiln

Just pulled the trigger on a Olympic SQ169HE with a Genesis controller

On 5/8/2020 at 11:04 AM, Stephen said:

ah crap, u guys have now cost me a couple of hours.

Learning something new is always a good thing

On 5/9/2020 at 2:44 PM, Smokey2 said:

Learning something new is always a good thing

It absolutely is! One of the many reasons I like this board so much. I think I just showed a con for just buying new controller kilns in that they are so plug and go there is a lot I don't learn about firing until I have an issue. We did actually program the schedules in each but then have just used those for years and haven't had to make any adjustments with our kilns but now I know about this and so if I am trouble shooting this will help.  

One of our kilns is a Skutt 1027 and is what they had for the tc offset in the manul:
THERMOCOUPLE OFFSETS It is possible to make individual sections of the kiln fire hotter or cooler by using this feature. The maximum offset that can be used is 50 degrees. This feature can be used to fine tune the kiln using pyrometric cones on shelves in the various sections. In most cases it is not necessary to offset the thermocouples and if done wrong it can cause firing problems which are difficult to diagnose. Please contact the factory to attain instructions for this feature

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

One of our kilns is a Skutt 1027 and is what they had for the tc offset in the manul:
THERMOCOUPLE OFFSETS It is possible to make individual sections of the kiln fire hotter or cooler by using this feature. The maximum offset that can be used is 50 degrees. This feature can be used to fine tune the kiln using pyrometric cones on shelves in the various sections. In most cases it is not necessary to offset the thermocouples and if done wrong it can cause firing problems which are difficult to diagnose. Please contact the factory to attain instructions for this feature

It can only make individual sections fire hotter or cooler if you have a kiln that is set up for zone control, which 99.9% of Skutt kilns are not.

Archived