roof clearance above kiln?

jrgpots

40 minutes ago, jrgpots said:

How high should the roof of the kiln shed be above a downdraft kiln?   (nine inch wall kiln, gas fired, chimney through the roof)  Should there be a deflector such as sheet metal between the kiln and roof?

I would start with the standards for installing a wood fired fireplace in a home or commercial building.  

Check with you local fire department for the regulations. 

LT

I have the kiln built.  I'm now planning the shelter to go over.   Nothing is over the kiln right now.  I was planning on 3 ft between rafters, plywood.  The outer roof must be tile because of the CC&R restrictions.    

Jed 

3 feet is plenty between kiln and rafter bottom. You could hang sheet metal (metal roofing) an inch below the rafters with some screws to make it bullet proof . The chimney penetration needs to be well thought out and wood needs to be quite aways away as stacks (chimneys get hot on outside)-you can hang some tile board on the wood an inch off the wood with screws like the metal and its really works well to keep the heat of the wood. Let some air between -its works wonders

I have a bit less clearance but I covered my arch (4.5 inch soft bricks with 3 inchs of fiber) and then one layer of corrugated roofing wired to steel frame. My guess is I have 2 feet clearance but my roof lets hardly any heat out. 3 feet would be better

Yes, I'd definitely hang some sort of heat baffle from the rafters to protect the wood. Otherwise that wood will dry out over time and the flash point will get lower and lower. Tile board would work great, but keep it open at the ends so air can flow through. Don't trap the heat in the cavity. 

Archived