COVID-19 & Recycled Clay

The students themselves are the closest contact for transmission, to their classmates and the clay.  The virus dies when it dries out. So dry all clay before slaking for recycling. If you can figure out how to work it without contamination, make every student responsible for their own recycling.  No mixing of clay.  Social distancing  and other CDC recommendations will likely be required in schools, so separate all the work areas. It’s possible that certain activities will not be allowed to resume for quite a while,  working with clay in a group setting being one of them.  Or scale back the work considerably. A thorough examination of the possibilities of pinch pots?

Everyone  be well.

One other option is to use bagged clays, let the unrecycled clay dry out completely Leave sit stored out of reach til following year and then recycle as usual.  I would think that would solve the problem. Strange,  that most clay banks even though high in bacteria, are actually beneficial to healing in the environment. Why do wounded animals often seek out the clay bank and water to recover, often rolling in the clay?  Viruses are completely different, but . . . . ?

best,

Pres

Don't you think this is all really unnecessary?  If the clay was to be infected, would not the most likely source of personal exposure would be the original source?  The virus isn't going to propagate itself in a bag of clay.

Seriously, this infection is ranking about 20th on the list of most likely to kill you.  Behind the regular flu(s).

I know this is a dissenting opinion.  They are still around.

To EVERYBODY: We don't want this to turn into a discussion on opinions about how dangerous the Coronavirus is or isn't.  That could very quickly turn into a political melee, and this forum is not the place for it. The OP's original question was how to deal with the potential spread of the virus in the ceramics studio, which as a school teacher must be dealt with despite personal opinions on the matter.

As a retired educator, I can only imagine the amount of stress and angst teachers feel over this entire issue. Imagining students trying to prepare for colleges, getting ready for proms, and the usual pomp and ceremony the end of a year will bring, this year is not going to be normal if at all.  I was in public HS for 36 years, and never have had type of lockdown and isolation that has been caused. All political implications aside prudent minds will allow that it is much better to be safe than sorry. I do believe that if bacteria can live in the wet environment so can a virus. I also believe that Nuking or using detergents or other chemicals in the clay is going to an extreme. In the long run if the virus dies in a dry environment after so many hours, then dry out the clay and then recycle. If you are really fearful, then ditch the clay and order new.

best,

Pres

Archived