advice on paper clay

I bought a 25 lb. block of paper clay for experimentation.  After using half of the block, I would like to save what is left for additional experiments based on the results of firing and glazing. Of course mold is a problem.    

Has anyone who has worked with paper clay allowed it dry, break the up, add water and work it into a ball ready for a few more projects?  I was thinking of rolling the remaining clay into slabs, let them dry and later when I'm ready reconstitute the clay.

I will be doing reduction raku, horse hair, single fire with clear over under glazes, and some small sculpture with fine thin detail.

I don't use any commercial paper clay, so I don't have anything to add there.  I am curious though about what the base clay they use for paper clay.  You would think they would try to use ball clay that didn't have a lot of organics.  My experience with paper slip in Soldate 60 is that it doesn't get funky no matter how long I leave it.  I assume it's the ball clay that does it. 

• 2 weeks later...

CactusPots -Pretty sure it's not the clay that gets so loud but the bacteria munching the paper. Typically bathroom tissue comes out the worst since it has a good bit of cornstarch in it.  Anyhow, it's not the clay but the paper.  Otherwise we'd always be contending with it. 

Like Denice and Callie say, dry then reconstitute.  It'll keep forever and take up almost no room. 

On 4/8/2020 at 3:14 PM, blackthorn said:

CactusPots -Pretty sure it's not the clay that gets so loud but the bacteria munching the paper. Typically bathroom tissue comes out the worst since it has a good bit of cornstarch in it.  Anyhow, it's not the clay but the paper.  Otherwise we'd always be contending with it. 

Like Denice and Callie say, dry then reconstitute.  It'll keep forever and take up almost no room. 

Blackthorn,

The only thing I can tell for fact is that the same paper source in Soldate 60 does not funk and in either my recycle or Amador, it goes quickly.  I do believe the paper source I am using may have some kind of antiseptic, but it has no smell whatever.  Only difference is the clay.

The paper clay I use to make with toilet paper got funky really fast.   When my local ceramics store started selling it I decided to try it.    I  like working with it and didn't develop a funky smell for several months.   I am getting old enough I only make clay when I have to,   I was pleased to find a good premixed paper clay that I could buy!  Denice

8 hours ago, CactusPots said:

Blackthorn,

The only thing I can tell for fact is that the same paper source in Soldate 60 does not funk and in either my recycle or Amador, it goes quickly.  I do believe the paper source I am using may have some kind of antiseptic, but it has no smell whatever.  Only difference is the clay.

Interesting.  I've not used Soldate 60.  Thanks for clarifying.  Actually, I don't use toilet tissue as a paper source either. Only shredded cotton inkjet paper so far. 

Archived