Attempting to make my own kiln stilts

claydy

Hi all!

I have been firing some pipes that are irregularly shaped, and have been spending far too much money on kiln stilts. I came to the conclusion that building my own silts of sorts would be the best way to go. My plan is to create two "bookends" with holes and to string  through the pipes between the two ends with high temp wire. I'm so confused as to what substrate I should be using to build the two ends out of. At first I thought just high fire clay, but I have friends telling me even these won't stand up to the test of time. Does anyone have any idea of what to use to build these pieces? What are typical kiln stilts made out of ?

Thanks so much!!!

@claydy, recipe for mullite setters below, if you don't want to use clay for making your own stilts you could use the mullite setter recipe. It would probably work for the bookends for a bead tree too.  If you do make some of it up I can post the mixing directions if it helps. Other thing you can use for the bookends is square kiln posts with notches cut into the ends with a masonry blade.

Mullite Setters ^6- 10 

Talc 20

Tennessee Ball 25

100 mesh Mullite 55

I'v also strung wire between the castle-top shelf props.  Sit another prop on top of the wire to hold it.  Might not work for very heavy danglers.

I also made supports from stoneware clay, like an upturned single leg table with supports.  Can't find a photo, but something/nothing like this:

image.png.e68ce2a82bf2ddc78ead4c7566d49cec.png

It might not last forever, but it's worth a try.

Archived