Glazes on Stained Bodies

colekeller

Hello all! I am hoping someone can shed light on the subject of using commercial high fire glazes (^6) on porcelain bisque that has been pigmented with mason stains. Will there be compatibility issues?  Basically my goal is to stain the clay body with complementary colors to the glazes that I intend to use. I can't stand the look of colorful glazes on white clay, and with the design of my objects it would be more blaring than just a ring on the bottom. 

I intend to run tests but the dry glazes are a decent investment so I wanted to run it by you folks before I bought a bunch of stains and glazes. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Cole

Also I plan on using Mayco dry glazes, I'm not sure if that is of significance. I know that this is about the chemistry of the glazes and stains and realize that there may be specific colors that react with other colors, but I am wondering if there is generally an overarching issue with glaze/stained clay compatibility (if that makes any sense :D)

The only way to know for sure is to test.  Someone else using the same glazes, stain, clay etc, could have different results to you as their firing/tap water/humidity etc is different to yours.  The usual comment is ceramic recipes don't travel well.

Archived