Glazing Totem Pieces

How do you glaze "Totem" pieces so the glaze doesn't get on the kiln shelf during firing?   For example, if I apply glaze close to the edge (of the post opening) of a ball or tube shape I am afraid it will run onto the kiln shelf. Is there a special stilt that needs to be used?

I have gathered some odds and ends porcelain parts from knob and tube wiring in old houses,  some old elements that are broken into 2-3 inch pieces and some thin porcelain tile that is 2x2 inches square.  They all make good stilts for odd projects   I buy the tile from  closeout bins and pay two dollars a sheet,  one sheet is 12x 24 inches.   It is the type of unglazed porcelain tile is used in historic homes.  It is cheap enough I would throw them away if glaze ran on to them.  I would stay away from a runny glaze in that area,  when  I have a area like that I will put a thin layer of glaze next to the edge or leave a quarter of a inch unglazed.  If I am worried about glaze combinations I will often make a small sculpture of it and test my glaze combination on it.     Denice

callie, when i make hanging planters or birdhouses, i put them on taller posts so they are supported from the inside and hang upside down during firing.  i only glaze the interior a quarter down from the rim so the post is in no danger of touching glaze.

Archived