Magnesite = Magnesium Carbonate

MFP

4 minutes ago, MFP said:

Are magnesite  magnesium carbonate the same?  Can they be interchanged?

One is the mineral (magnesite), and then other is the chemical (magnesium carbonate).  The difference being that one is raw and the other refined.

If magnesium is what you're after either should work, but if pure magnesium is what you're after the carbonate should be used.  Magnesite can have impurities like iron, nickel, etc. 

The comparison would be something like Rutile and titanium dioxide.  Technically Rutile is titanium dioxide with impurities.  Titanium dioxide fires an opaque white, and Rutile fires to an opaque yellow.  You can expect similar variation between magnesite and magnesium carbonate.

Well I went to digitalfire as Liam suggested and it does not differentiate between them. I was wondering how to adjust a recipe if it called for magnesite....clearly putting too much mag carb will cause crawling.

Magnesite is 47.8% MgO and Light Magnesium Carbonate is 43.09% MgO. So, if for a hypothetical example, a glaze has 5% magnesite in it and you use magnesium carb in place of it you are only going to be short by the difference between the two which is 4.7% multiplied by the 5% in the glaze which works out to 0.235 grams. It's really a negligible amount. I don't think it makes a difference if you use Magnesite, Magnesium Carbonate or Light Magnesium Carbonate when working with the typical amounts found in glaze recipes. 

If you're using the Magnesite or Magnesium Carbonate only to supply magnesium there are better ways to do it. (exception being crawl / lichen glazes) Talc to supply the magnesium content has a far lower LOI therefore far less issues with crawling or pinholes. This is where glaze calculation software is really helpful, post your recipe if you like and someone can likely convert it for you if you're interested.

Thank you very much Min. You are always so very helpful.  I saw some glazes on glazy with magnesite in the recipe and I had never heard of it. I have to get with it and study that calculation formula Bill gave me.   I am trying to focus on cone 6 now since I made the decision that cone 10 is a winter enterprise.  I think I have found a stoneware I like and at least two porcelains. So, I have been getting things together for the first glaze test fire. There are so many choices on glazy it is difficult to decide. However, I want one that is like the white matte I had....it was white and somewhat buttery when thick and when thin it was reddish.....it was nice for pots with texture.  I think I found one on glazy for cone 6. Thanks again for the information.....if I am understanding magnesium, less is better unless crawling is desired. 

"less is better unless crawling is desired."  It's the material that supplies the magnesium thats the issue with crawling and pinholes not the magnesium oxide that will be in the fired glaze. High magnesium glazes can be wonderful, just suggesting to supply the magnesium content with talc (or dolomite if there is calcium in the recipe, many do) or a combination of those two materials instead of magnesium carb or magnesite. I use low expansion glazes and many include a fair bit of magnesium from talc, dolomite and a frit, crawling is never an issue.

10 minutes ago, MFP said:

Thank you very much Min. You are always so very helpful.  I saw some glazes on glazy with magnesite in the recipe and I had never heard of it. I have to get with it and study that calculation formula Bill gave me.   I am trying to focus on cone 6 now since I made the decision that cone 10 is a winter enterprise.  I think I have found a stoneware I like and at least two porcelains. So, I have been getting things together for the first glaze test fire. There are so many choices on glazy it is difficult to decide. However, I want one that is like the white matte I had....it was white and somewhat buttery when thick and when thin it was reddish.....it was nice for pots with texture.  I think I found one on glazy for cone 6. Thanks again for the information.....if I am understanding magnesium, less is better unless crawling is desired. 

If you've got some disposable income the "cream breaking rust" glazes are similar to what you're describing.  They've got a lot of tin in them though and other opacifiers don't work as substitutes.

4 minutes ago, Min said:

"less is better unless crawling is desired."  It's the material that supplies the magnesium thats the issue with crawling and pinholes not the magnesium oxide that will be in the fired glaze. High magnesium glazes can be wonderful, just suggesting to supply the magnesium content with talc (or dolomite if there is calcium in the recipe, many do) or a combination of those two materials instead of magnesium carb or magnesite. I use low expansion glazes and many include a fair bit of magnesium from talc, dolomite and a frit, crawling is never an issue.

Yep, it's that +50% carbonate loss that causes the crawling.  If you follow Tony Hansens doctrine at all he aims to eliminate as many lossy ingredients as possible.  This means loss on firing and loss from solubles.  Both cause issues in otherwise chemically good glazes.

Archived