I want to start making these but....

I want to start making these but....do you think they are really worth $30 each.  

Had made wheel thrown.  I know I can do it but it seems that it might only be worth $10 or $15 each.  Does anyone have any input?

https://pulldeals.com/itm/Pottery-Hand-Made-Wheel-Thrown-Coffee-Mug-Blue-Pink-Drip-Glaze-w-Initials-EUC-/264283887642?q=Pottery-Hand-Made-Wheel-Thrown-Coffee-Mug

Mugs are sold anywhere from 15-100 dollars, if they're well made and look nice you can sell them for whatever people will buy them for.  

As for selling them online... Well, it's a flooded market with mugs everywhere, you'll have to find some way to make yours distinct.  A lot of people use social media to gain a following and sell mainly to their fans.  You'll have to experiment to see what works for you.  I'm doing that right now.

He sold 11 of them on e-bay over who knows how long. ??

Can you sell a mug for 30$ sure. The bigger question is can you sell 100 of them.

I think Liambesaw summed it up well above.

Keep in mind that it was free shipping on e-bay so thats in the mix of expenses as well.

You can mail a mug for around 9$ via USPs thru PayPal so thats a mug for 21$

whats it cost to make that mug? time ,electricity, firing, glazing, materials etc?

When it comes to online pricing the shipping costs will matter alot-My guess at a art show in the Bay area (his turf) his mug sells for 15-18$

The high price point is adding packing and shipping to get there.

My partner has pushed her mugs to $28 that she sells at a monthly show if they have hand painted artwork but our dipped mugs are still $20 (thinking about pushing to $22). Since she doesn't want to have a mug factory they sell through fine. 

Online seems to not provide much action for many potters unless you drum up the business so you might have to box them up and take them to some arts and/or craft shows to sell more than one here and there. Maybe see if a local farmers market allows pottery and give that a try. 

Go for it!

Archived