manual kiln, timer or sitter???

oldlady

for the first time, i fired faster than normal.   for the umpteenth time i forgot about the (4 letter word) timer.     this time i ran out of the house when i remembered that i had not looked at the timer at all and i did not want to have to refire this bisque load.

the kiln was off.   the timer said zero, the button was out on the sitter.  the top knob was still on med.   i was using a timer inside to turn the 3 buttons up at 50 minute intervals and i was about to go out to turn up the top to high.     the firing started at 8:10 this morning and i ran out at 3:15.   it was a light load since i plan to leave tuesday.

question.    if a timer shuts off the kiln, does the bar come down, the weight let go and the button pop out?     i have no experience with a timer shutting down the kiln so i have no idea what actually happens to turn off the power.     with such a light load, could it have reached 04 in that length of time?   and without the top knob going to high?

no, no witness cones.      i now know why some titles scream HELP!!

Of five firings - three bisque, two glaze - I'd forgotten to set the timer twice't! ...caught it soon 'nough both times, just blips in the curve; set timer, push in the button, re-go. I'm a put a sticker on't.

tried it. button will not stay in unless the timer is set.  that seems to mean that it went off on the timer.    i guess i have to wait until late tomorrow to open it and see the minibar in the sitter.   in any case, have to pack up to drive north on tuesday.   maybe they reached 06. i set limit of 7 hours from now.  big storm coming in about 9 so the studio needs to be closed up.   

education the hard way, thanks, guys for the info.  

hulk, there is a big note written on the wiring box where the kiln is.   wrote it years ago and it says "check timer!"  maybe i will from now on.

neil, thanks for the critical part, the weight does not fall if the kiln is turned off by the timer.     that is logical.   panic makes logic disappear.    kiln fired until 12:20 or so, now cooling.

10:15 pm, monday.   everything looks fine, no problems at all, no idea what cone it reached but it does not really matter.   thank you all again.

Archived