Glaze bleeding?

It often depends upon the glaze. I have watched folks paint right up to the edge of one glaze with another with near perfect fired results. I have also watched many use one glaze over another with fairly independent results as well so it really seems dependent on how well the glazes behave together and whether the underlying glaze moves in the firing.

one potential solution with getting a stable overglaze finish is to decorate over a previously fired high fire glaze with a low fire glaze and fire down. I have seen many decorate a fired cone six piece with 04 (lowfire) overglaze to get a more than China paint finished product.

We just recently created a glaze for an Artist across the pond to cure some of the bad aspects of her current glaze. One of the criteria was to try and ensure it performed well enough for her to paint up to and over with reasonable clarity. She is a sculpture artist and worked exclusively at 04.

with permission I have attached a picture of some of her work. Her process may interest you. She is a member here @Grace london I believe.

68EED2B1-C8C7-4DE8-96EB-A8B9CF9F6E4B.jpeg

Hi Neb!

Overlapping glaze application and clean edge - both - might be more difficult than going for a clean edge where the glazes are applied without overlapping.?

There's tape to make a clean line, wax that edge, wait for it all to dry real well before pulling the tape; then when second glaze is applied there's a clean line where the glazes meet. From there, the glazes may or may not behave in firing, depends, as Bill is said.

I do tape and wax, also what Tony demonstrates here (link below) for edges/lips (where tape is difficult) - apply glaze, wax, then cut&clean to get the clean waxed line ...don' get wax on the clay! If/when you get wax onna clay, try burning it off with a torch real quick, poof!

:|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlZqlsF1rFU

Thank you both for the suggestions!  I think I might just try Hulk's suggestion. Bill's suggestion seems like it would work better, but all we have on hand are premixed glazes and I don't have enough experience (or materials, probably) to know how to alter what we have.

If I get into something like this again, I'll definitely be sure to do more research before I start :')

To get a really clean crisp edge the simplest thing to do would be use underglazes then a clear glaze overtop. 

Second most likely way to prevent glaze bleeding is to use glazes that have the same base recipe. If you are using commercial glazes stick with the same brand and line of glazes for both then there is a greater chance the bases are the same.  Not over firing them will help too.

Archived