Crack in the bottom of a cone 10 fired bowl

No way to fix it.

If it's beloved, and I can't bring myself to trash a certain piece (which should be trashed--we have to be ruthless about these things, most of the time), I might have some fun and fill the crack with glitter epoxy or build up thick gold enamel (a riff on kintsugi) and just use it for popourrie or loose change and such. 

It may be counter-intuitive, but s-cracks that suddenly appear after the glaze firing were there all along, caused by faulty throwing and drying of the greenware. The clay shrinks twice during the usual sequence of work. The first shrinkage occurs between the time of finishing wet work to bone dry. It is merely the water evaporating and the space previously taken by the water closing up. There is no further shrinkage in the bisque firing. If you put damp work in the bisque firing, there will be some shrinkage as it finishes drying in the kiln, but no more once the actual firing commences. A second phase of shrinkage occurs as the body matures and vitrifies. This is a change in the molecular structure of the ceramic body. If there is any latent weakness in the ware, even if not visible in the bisqued stage, it will reveal itself now.

You can fix it with a hammer-thats the best fix or if that seems severe you could plant cactus in it as the slow drain will work good with them.

Next time compress the clay  in bottom  more when throwing  as thats 90% of most of these issues.

Archived