test fire

Hi All;

This weekend we did our first test firing for a new Cone Art Kiln.  We used witness cones and fired to cone 6.  We have a V6CF Bartlett Controller.    When we opened the kiln my cone 5 witness cones were completely melted, the cone 6 and 7 cones were both completely layed over.  The kiln controller had recorded a temperature of 2237 when it started to cool down.    My cones are new as well.  Any thoughts anyone?  We are completely new to firing so want to figure this out before we do our first bisque firing.  

First I would suggest running the voltage calibration on the V6CF now that you have installed it then check the setup parameters and confirm how it was programmed from the facotory or if it was even programmed. Let me know what model cone art, single zone, etc.... and I can forward some typical basic settings then you will need to test fire again after calibration and setup.

20 minutes ago, glazenerd said:

Donna:

Sounds like it ran just fine: you melted just past cone 7. There should be a section in your manual about TC  (thermocouple) offset. All new kilns with controllers need calibrated: nothing unusual. 

Tom

She should check her base setup first before offsetting. Just sent this to Liam, it’s easy to do and often see these not calibrated and just mis programmed.

1 minute ago, liambesaw said:

My controller got stuck on a truck in Spokane, so I didn't get to install it this weekend. Very sad.  

Funny I just sent this to you but you can see how folks often don’t set them up in any special way, especially the voltage calibration. Quite common actually for whatever reason. Sorry about the delivery snafu.

10 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

First I would suggest running the voltage calibration on the V6CF now that you have installed it then check the setup parameters and confirm how it was programmed from the facotory or if it was even programmed. Let me know what model cone art, single zone, etc.... and I can forward some typical basic settings then you will need to test fire again after calibration and setup.

Voltage calibration doesn't affect the firing at all. It's just a way to check for a low-voltage situation where the kiln isn't reaching temperature.

26 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

Voltage calibration doesn't affect the firing at all. It's just a way to check for a low-voltage situation where the kiln isn't reaching temperature.

Along with the voltage calibration for the pid constants there are some basics that need to be checked such as the shut down parameter and pid distribution on a percentage basis. Best to see what is set in there and match it to the kiln. Have personally seen this easily affect 1/2 cone or more many times. I can’t think of a reason not to actually.

1 hour ago, Bill Kielb said:

Along with the voltage calibration for the pid constants there are some basics that need to be checked such as the shut down parameter and pid distribution on a percentage basis. Best to see what is set in there and match it to the kiln. Have personally seen this easily affect 1/2 cone or more many times. I can’t think of a reason not to actually.

The controller doesn't care what the voltage of the kiln is.

22 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

Thanks!

just curious why both load and no load  voltage calibration are available for  self calibration in the Bartlett tech manual?

According to Bartlett, the controller can calculate the voltage within 20-30 volts above or below the calibration points. They have the two calibration points so that the voltage drop when the elements are on isn't confused for bad line voltage.

Archived