metallic waste products in glazes

Pres

Interesting article popped up in my news browsing today. I thought it might be of interest here.

https://www.dezeen.com/2018/11/23/agne-kucerenkaite-ignorance-bliss-ceramic-glazes-metal-waste/

I of course wonder about the use of such materials in the studio, as it does say many heavy metals are in the sludge. However, thought it might be interesting for discussion.

Yes, Pres, the article was interesting and can have applications in the ceramics industry, but I would think that for the purposes of producing pigments that can be used for functional, food use purposes, a little more research would have to be done before these "pigments" could be integrated into useful, food safe glazes. Using them for coloring tiles, etc., is a great idea and I think that processes can be developed to better refine the metals out of the sludge into a more controllable product.

JohnnyK

Agreed, because soil remediation companies are usually called out to address industrial pollutants, things like arsenic, cadmium, lead, etc.  If it comes to you as a sludge I'm not sure you get to choose which soil contaminants you get.  Great for tile and sculpture though

Archived