Oranges and Blues at Cone 10??

nancylee

Hi,

I have always fired to cone 5/6 or low fire cause I love color and I don't see a lot of colors at cone 10. I know some of you here get great color, but I don't have a studio locally that teaches cone 10, so I don't know how you do that. I recently saw a gorgeous orange color a cone 10, maybe soda fired? And I just saw some gorgeous aquas that were drippy and glorious at cone 10 soda fired. Any idea of the glazes used at cone 10 to get oranges and aquas?? Or a reference guide or book? I don't really want to be mixing glazes, I have a whole basement of glazes I mixed on my own and screwed up. :) Commercial glazes would be fine.

Also, I'm looking for a simple way to sagar fire or pit or barrel fire. Are any of the PDFs for sale on the site worthwhile? I want something I can do here at home, with no big equipment or expense. Thanks,

Nancy

Just search the major suppliers-they all have  ^10 color glazes and underglazes.  CAN has free pdf's. Here is one on cone 10  recipes    file:///E:/Clay%20and%20Studio/CAD%20PDFs/15cone10Recipes.pdf

In Google search you can just type in "cone 10 orange glaze" (or aqua-whatwever) and get hits from most makers.

6 hours ago, LeeU said:

Just search the major suppliers-they all have  ^10 color glazes and underglazes.  CAN has free pdf's. Here is one on cone 10  recipes    file:///E:/Clay%20and%20Studio/CAD%20PDFs/15cone10Recipes.pdf

In Google search you can just type in "cone 10 orange glaze" (or aqua-whatwever) and get hits from most makers.

Thank you! I was getting mostly pics of cone 10, and no Soda firing glazes. I’ll try again,

nancy

1 minute ago, Min said:

If the orange colours you were looking at were on the outside of the soda fired pots they could have been flashing slips.   For the aqua colour I would do a search for cone 10 blue celadons, quite a few recipes here

Yes, they were on the outside. Sound like flashing slips now that I know what to look for. Thank you!! 

Nancy

Archived