When I was taking ceramic classes my teacher used some tool to rub on the sharp glaze edges that would rub the broken bubbles down so you did not get hurt.  I seem to keep thinking it was made from cement.  Anyone know what this is or if this is what it is?

Neil is right, of course, but if you have a bubble or other pointy-sticking-up-spot that needs smoothing, a little piece of kiln shelf can be used as a spot-grinder. Silicon carbide is the best. I've been known to smooth pots on concrete, in a pinch.

Naturally, you would just trash any piece that has these sorts of blemishes on a surface that can have contact with food. Even with ^10 clay and firing, the exposed body will not be impervious to absorption. 

Thank you all for your replies.  I have not done any pottery for about 20 years and trying to pool my memories...  I just got a new Brent CXC wheel and am nervous about getting it all started up again.  Just trying to collect everything we used.  When the glaze bubbled it was due to over firing.  It happened once but the tool we used... now I know it was the Kimper tool that Callie Beller Diesel mentioned.  I found it and have ordered it.    Thank you Callie :)  We used it for a lot of things...  not just the bubbles.    I am so excited about this group.

Rae Reich thank you for your tid bit of info too... I have some broken pieces I will hold onto for that as well.  Again thank you all for your help and answers :)

When I get enough stuff to run my kiln I will have a zillion questions as I never ran it... and i bought it in 2003.  

Sincerely,

Paula Ray

Thank you all for your replies.  I have not done any pottery for about 20 years and trying to pool my memories...  I just got a new Brent CXC wheel and am nervous about getting it all started up again.  Just trying to collect everything we used.  When the glaze bubbled it was due to over firing.  It happened once but the tool we used... now I know it was the Kimper tool that Callie Beller Diesel mentioned.  I found it and have ordered it.    Thank you Callie :)  We used it for a lot of things...  not just the bubbles.    I am so excited about this group.

Rae Reich thank you for your tid bit of info too... I have some broken pieces I will hold onto for that as well.  Again thank you all for your help and answers :)

When I get enough stuff to run my kiln I will have a zillion questions as I never ran it... and i bought it in 2003.  

Sincerely,

Paula Ray

Archived