Help! BRENT Model A - My first wheel

KyleM

Hi ceramics community - looking for your thoughts and guidance here.

I just started in ceramics in January this year and love it. I took about (3) months of classes and have been in the community studio 9+ hours a week since I started. Where has this been all my life!?

My question: I have set up my home studio on a budget to put more hours in and the last thing I'm missing is a wheel. I've been looking for the past few months and found someone selling a BRENT Model A that - based on research - I've gotten down to a reasonable price.

Any suggestions on what I should look/listen for when I go to check it out for purchase this Saturday July 7th? I have attached a picture of the wheel and would really appreciate any beginner buyers guidance for an older wheel.

Wheel Specs: 1/3 HP - 3 Amps - 110 Volt 

Thank you all in advance!

-Kyle

Brent A .png

I own 2 of these-one is new in the box the other I trim on every week.

They are a mini version of the Brent Line.I do not throw on. one but they would work fine.

The up front things you need to know are some of the parts are no longer available.You could call Amaco/brent on the  motor or controller.

The foot pedal and controller are standard.

The one thing you do need to do is use some silicone chalk on the 4 carraige bolts that penetrate the tabletop deck. Water will get in past the head and compromise the flake board underneath. Just use some on your finger and wipe it around the heads.

The other point is water proof the edge of the deck which is flake board . Use clear or paint finish. Put a few coats on that edge. I use a clear finish after taping it off.

The wheel should last our lifetime after these tune ups

I have paid $275 for a used one and  $350 for new one-(old new stock in a box)

@Mark C. - thanks so much!

Really really helpful. If all goes well i'll pay what you got your used one for (they were asking about $650 USD originally and I used a post you did a long time ago as an indication for fair market value) So thank you! Glad to hear you have (2) - I'm guessing this means it's a nice little machine.

Those tips are super handy and something I will do right when I get it.

Is there any noise or weirdness I should look for/Inspect when I plug it in for a test upon seeing it Saturday?

Thanks again.

-Kyle

It should be fairly quiet wheel and the foot pedal should be responsive.

The motor is mounter to fame with a hinge and a small unit.Wheel head should have zero movement side to side with no rumbling bearings sounds.

Thanks again @Mark C. - last question.

I reached out to BRENT and the only thing I would not be able to get a replacement on is the motor. Anything I should be looking for with regards to the motors health? (other than what you've noted in your last comment)

-Kyle

Archived