Flashing Slips

Hello all, 

I'm participating in my first wood firing, and I have been doing some reading about using flashing slips. Some say they are applied thinly over bisque wear, others seem to apply before the bisque. Anyone have some experience with these methods? Photos would be greatly appreciated as well! I'm also interested in trying to spray some slips. 

Thanks! 

I apply flashing sips to bisque pieces.  I use a few different slips on bisque.  They are typically about 1/4 epk, 1/4 high-iron clay (like Helmar), and up to 1/2 Neph Sy.  I have pushed the Neph Sy up to 60% and then it is acting more like a glaze (which I really like).  My firings are typically only about 14 hours, so on the shorter side.  Even though I go over cone 10, the extra Neph Sy helps to melt the surface in the shorter firing.

1 hour ago, fergusonjeff said:

I apply flashing sips to bisque pieces.  I use a few different slips on bisque.  They are typically about 1/4 epk, 1/4 high-iron clay (like Helmar), and up to 1/2 Neph Sy.  I have pushed the Neph Sy up to 60% and then it is acting more like a glaze (which I really like).  My firings are typically only about 14 hours, so on the shorter side.  Even though I go over cone 10, the extra Neph Sy helps to melt the surface in the shorter firing.

Great! Thank you for the input Jeff! I'll try adding more neph sy to some of the slips i'll be using. Im curious now! 

Archived