Re-firing low fire glaze

I'm unsatisfied with the colors of some low fire commercial glazes I've applied to my sculptures.  I'd like to turn the intensity down a notch, say from brilliant orange to a lighter orange.  I've heard that using hair spray allows the new glaze (I plan on using a transparent yellow)  to adhere.  And should I apply 2-3 coats?  I don't want to lose the forms to these overbearing glazes.  Thanks.

If you are using commercial brushing glazes, the brushing agent that makes them brush out smoothly is usually an organic gum (CMC). That also will help the glaze to stick to a previously fired glaze surface. You probably don't need the hairspray trick. That's typically for dipping glazes.

Do you have a oven large enough to put your sculpture in?  The glaze will stick better to a warm surface,  it is hard to put a second coat on a previously glaze piece.  The second coat kind of removes the  first coat you just put on.  Do you fire your own work?   I assume this is a Cone 04 glaze,  the higher it is fired the softer the orange will be.  If you are using a low fire clay you could probably fire it to Cone 02 and not melt your sculpture.   Of course testing first would be the best but not always possible.    Denice

I've used the hairspray trick for a couple of ^6 reglazes and found it to be helpful when brushing the Amaco Potters Choice glazes without additional CMC. As with everything glazes, run some tests, even if it means using scrap pieces rather than your good sculptures to see if you can duplicate results. I have a very small collection of bisque "failures" that I keep around for just this purpose. Give it a shot, Gregory...the only thing you have to lose is time.

JohnnyK

Thanks all.  Regarding the kiln type, I use a front-loader.  I use the Duncan, Amaco and Spectrum low-fire glazes.  Each brand is either 05 or 06.  I think it's better not to use multiple brands to maintain organization so I'm going to use each brand until I run out and then just go with one.  All the brands look alike to me, at least from the catalog.  Perhaps you've noticed differences?  Thanks again.

• 5 months later...

Archived