Is cone 5 b-mix suitable for oven safe ware?

It wouldn't be my choice of clay body for oven ware. The clay supplier I use has at least one suitable body that's made specifically for production oven ware. If I were to make casseroles I'd use that body. Don't use anything that's listed as cone 6 - 10. I've found several suppliers selling cone 10 clay's and listing them as 6 - 10. Well they aren't vitrified at cone 6 and can explode if they're put in a hot oven if the clay is full of water.

It wouldn't be my choice of clay body for oven ware. The clay supplier I use has at least one suitable body that's made specifically for production oven ware. If I were to make casseroles I'd use that body. Don't use anything that's listed as cone 6 - 10. I've found several suppliers selling cone 10 clay's and listing them as 6 - 10. Well they aren't vitrified at cone 6 and can explode if they're put in a hot oven if the clay is full of water.

I have also noticed the trend towards wider firing ranges of stoneware clays, but always to purchase my clays with a tight range as I know that with proper firing I will have a vitrified body. Those bodies that have wide ranges do not fare well in the modern environments that we have:dishwashers, microwaves and frig. Over the years I have had problems with ware that was made with wider range clays that did not hold up to use and abuse. Learned my lesson early.

Archived