Do I Fix My Damaged Sculpture Before Or After Firing?

3 weeks ago, I started the drying process for this sculpture:

post-86678-0-94485500-1503097158_thumb.jpg

It was all going well, no cracks, nothing falling off...until today.

I was changing the paper under it and when I put it down, I snapped the fingers off the hand under it's head..  :(

Would it be better to fix it before firing it.... or should I fire it and then fix it?

Either way, how would I go about doing that?

Search spooze in the forums, works a treat, clayy. Vinegar. And clay 1/3rd of each.tissue paper can be added as a strengthener.

Peggy's spooze search will get it to you.

Good luck.

Peope have used this for handles fixiing, great stuff

Great sculpture!

Spooze works great.  I always have a big batch mixed up, ready for my students.  I go through quite a bit in my classes...  I have also combined the use of that, with Magic Water, as a little extra insurance, as the latter has ingredients that form glass.

I also forgot to mention, that I also have started to enjoy using, a super-saturated slip, made by deflocculating a slip and adding more and more dried clay into it.  I guess that would be considered at joining slip.

The good thing about it is that it grabs hold and sets fast!  In a classroom, that's a bonus as I've fixed things going right in the kiln, with both that, and the Spooze.

I also forgot to mention, that I also have started to enjoy using, a super-saturated slip, made by deflocculating a slip and adding more and more dried clay into it.  I guess that would be considered at joining slip.

The good thing about it is that it grabs hold and sets fast!  In a classroom, that's a bonus as I've fixed things going right in the kiln, with both that, and the Spooze.

Thank you!  I've looked into the slip.. I'm going to see what materials the college has before I go and buy it myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived