Can I Include Work I Want To Refire In A Load Of Newly Glazed Work?

I have some lidded jars that I am not happy with from a recent firing and would like to include them in a firing of newly glazed work. Cone 6 stoneware... I have successfully used John Brett's schedule for refiring work before with good results, in a smaller electric kiln. But now I have ALMOST enough new work for a firing and would fill up my larger kiln if I included these unhappy pots.

Do you see any difficulty with using the same firing schedule for both newly glazed work AND include work that I want to refire? Here is John's schedule:

Ramp Fahrenheit

1. 100. 200 degrees

2. 350. 1050 degrees

3. 50. 1100 degrees

4. 500. 1976 degrees

5. 150. 2225 degrees

My theory is that in this schedule the new work would just come to temperature more slowly. Any thoughts?

Thanks

i fire in an electric L&L kiln with a controller.  i have often fired mixed loads, greenware single fired to cone 6, refired glaze that did not get enough color the first time, and bisque from florida getting its glaze firing.  the slow glaze computer program is fine for all of it as long as i use their preheat first.  firing takes a total of 14 hours in my 23x27 inch kiln which is normally packed very tightly.

I have often refired pieces that I was not happy with. These had been reglazed by heating up in oven, then sprayed or dipped while hot. Glaze dried almost immediately. I don't normally worry about vitrified ware getting refired as it does not soak up water like bisque does. I always do a water smoke (1-2 hr ) on just glazed pots to help with drying before the firing really begins.

best,

Pres

Archived