freezing glaze

Juli Long

I also keep mine in the garage; however, this past year I bit the bullet and installed a ceiling mounted heater. Only use it when the temperatures will go below freezing -- which are not many days/nights in Northern Virginia -- (or when I'm working on clay). Before that, I kept them in the basement.

I also keep mine in the garage; however, this past year I bit the bullet and installed a ceiling mounted heater. Only use it when the temperatures will go below freezing -- which are not many days/nights in Northern Virginia -- (or when I'm working on clay). Before that, I kept them in the basement.

Yeah I started moving them into the basement here in PA. It saves a lot of grief of having to re constitute them. How does the ceiling mounted heater work for you? I am thinking of putting a 240 ceiling heater in to heat the shop on cold days, which we have a lot of here in PA. A brick garage is not the greatest winter studio as hit holds the night cold so much longer. Of course in the summer it holds the night cool nicely til mid day!

Pres

So far, so good. I usually turn it on about a half hour before I go out an work. My garage is a single car garage, not terribly big. Colder in the mornings; I mostly work in afternoons and evenings. The garage has one common wall with the house -- that is the wall I put shelves against to store my glazes. When I had to replace the garage door, I bought one that was insulated. Running the heater last winter did not make a noticable bump in the electric bill.

The heater is a 240v, 5,000w unit from Farenheat -- bought it online. Ugly tan. There were cheaper ones, but all the on-line reviews of the cheaper ones mentioned how noisy the fans were. So, I paid a little more for a quieter one and do not have the distracting noise. My electrician installed a separate thermostat that gives me a bit more control over the settings.

Bruce

Yeah I started moving them into the basement here in PA. It saves a lot of grief of having to re constitute them. How does the ceiling mounted heater work for you? I am thinking of putting a 240 ceiling heater in to heat the shop on cold days, which we have a lot of here in PA. A brick garage is not the greatest winter studio as hit holds the night cold so much longer. Of course in the summer it holds the night cool nicely til mid day!

Hey pres if you need help wiring it up let me know! laugh.gif of course if you have read any of my recent posts you know the last thing you want is ME helping you wire anything!!

My brother just bought an infared floor heater and is very impressed. We have had some cold nights in Ohio already this fall and he still hasnt turned on his furnace or fired up his wood burner. he has a ranch with a walk out basement but is only heating the upstairs with the infared, probably about 1500 square feet?? His house is new though, good insulation, windows etc. but he likes it a lot and is surprised he hasnt needed to turn his furnace on yet.

Hey pres if you need help wiring it up let me know! laugh.gif of course if you have read any of my recent posts you know the last thing you want is ME helping you wire anything!!

My brother just bought an infared floor heater and is very impressed. We have had some cold nights in Ohio already this fall and he still hasnt turned on his furnace or fired up his wood burner. he has a ranch with a walk out basement but is only heating the upstairs with the infared, probably about 1500 square feet?? His house is new though, good insulation, windows etc. but he likes it a lot and is surprised he hasnt needed to turn his furnace on yet.

When it comes to wiring, I'm pretty handy. However, I will have the wiring put in by an electrician to cover a few points. 1) I have a hundred amp service in the shop, so will I have to upgrade the box to handle the heat, and the other kiln I bought two years ago. 2)code may make me have to wire the new kiln direct, or even the heater also. 3) I want to make certain that all of my t's and i's are taken care of. 4) Not completely comfortable working with 240 as opposed to 120.

I make pottery in an unheated garage. At one time I bought an old commercial food warmer that I was going to use to smoke turkey's and sausage for $17. Never go around to converting it to a smoker, but store my clay and glazes in it. I got a thermostat and hooked it to a light bulb and keep it set at 50 degrees. I've never had anything frozen in it yet. I do check the light bulb once a wheel and oftener if it's cold. A small refrigerator would do the same job.

Bobg

Archived