Good day all

Here my quire this fine Sunday morning

Can I recycle my wife's clay leavings (left overs) if they have been frozen for the winter? She has a small studio and space is always at a premium so I would like to place a bin out side the studio in, shale we say quit frigid weather. By frigid we are talking -40 c (Cold ish) at the worst end of things. Then come spring or when ever there is enough to warrant the task of re-claiming it.

If you recycle normally, store the scraps outside, and recycle in the Spring as you would otherwise. Slake down the scraps let dry up a bit, re-wedge. Another trick that is pretty good, take out the sludge, and let it freeze in a block, Bring it in, put the block in a bucket on a riser of some sort, or even a screen over the bucket. when the clay thaws, the water that is frozen on the outside leaves and the clay left is almost as good as leaving it in the sun for a few hours.

best,

Pres

If you recycle normally, store the scraps outside, and recycle in the Spring as you would otherwise. Slake down the scraps let dry up a bit, re-wedge. Another trick that is pretty good, take out the sludge, and let it freeze in a block, Bring it in, put the block in a bucket on a riser of some sort, or even a screen over the bucket. when the clay thaws, the water that is frozen on the outside leaves and the clay left is almost as good as leaving it in the sun for a few hours.

best,

Pres

That's a great idea.

Now I have it sorted I can setup for spring recycling of her clay. Yea fun times for me, guess i should learn the skill my self, but after watching her for 30 years if it hasn't rubbed off on me by now...........

Thanks for your input.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there, 

I have a situation too. I guess that I bought and received a thawed body clay.

Trying to spread a piece of GuS 468 with 40% Chamotte I've realized that the body is cracking when I try to use the slab roller.

I've tried to wedge the clay but the result is the same; is this a thawed body clay? what are the signs that confirm this state could you be so kind? Thanks,

Freeze dried might be a better description. I can see granulation in the large crack on the right: one sign of frozen clay. However, the moisture content of this clay is low: would guess around 5%; which also causes cracking and splitting. In essence, it is losing its plasticity from both issues. Need to hydrate back to the 9-10% range. You have it slab rolled out; spritz it with a spray bottle, fold over, roll again.. repeat...until it rolls without cracking.

Nerd

I appreciate it, I'll try that. I never used a body clay with Chamotte and I thought that this is the normal consistency and should be pretty dry. Indeed, I've found in the sealed bag, some water around the clay block which confirm again that the clay was below the storage recommended temperature (5*C) maybe somewhere around 0*C.

Thanks

Archived